cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Comments on the new box

Swapped our nowtv (white) box for a new smart one yesterday. Oddly went to Currys who told me they didn't have them in and didn't expect them as you can only order from nowTV online. Went to argos next door and bought one for £69.99 with four months movies.

Looks much nicer, runs much faster and we even think the bbc iplayer is significantly faster, having free view is great as saves clicking back and forward between remote. It's much better all round.

what I don't like is the TV guide is only now and next - a few hours of tv as a guide would be better - I've downloaded a TV guide app. Also don't like the menus (but never have on nowTV) as find them a bit all over. Also, the HD channels are way down the list and can't seem to work out a quick way to get to them. Would be better to have them further up and quicker to access (who would watch bbc1 when you can watch bbc1HD other than for local news).

also no idea how long we can pause for. The guide says 'depends on programme and area'.

all in all - much better and worth the £

41 REPLIES 41
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Under the box menu settings, press Systems, then select Power, then select Auto power off (enabled) and make sure that the After 4 hours of no interaction is ticked.

Also, if you change input sources on your TV from say the HDMI input your box is connected to, to say back to your TV inbuilt tuner for example the NowTV box will go into Eco mode after a short period of time.

Personally (IMO), i dont recommend powering the box on & off each time at the mains plug (unless you are going on hoildays for example and won't be in the house for a few weeks).

BTW - unplugging the box at the power mains all you are doing is rebooting the box and you won't have to re enter your username & password etc, but like i mentioned you can leave the box plugged into the mains using the auto power down feature (this is how my smart box is setup).

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User If you turn your TV off, the smart box will detect that and after two mins will shut itself down. It will display a message and a countdown timer just before it switches off - which you can't see 'cos you've switched the TV off. However if you watch the violet light on the front of the box, you'll notice that it will flash for a couple of seconds before it goes out.

Downside is it will take longer to startup than the old black box.

And no, if you unplug it you wont have to reenter your username/password.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've trawled the site but can't seem to find any details of what the freeview channels are and which are in HD.  No screenshots of the UI either for the freeview part.

Not keen on spending my money without knowing what I am buying!!

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've trawled the site but can't seem to find any details of what the freeview channels are and which are in HD.  No screenshots of the UI either for the freeview part.

Not keen on spending my money without knowing what I am buying!!

@Anonymous User

Just to be clear, the freeview channels are received via a normal tv aerial - they are not streamed to the box over the internet. Well not unless you "sideload" a certain app 😉

So, assuming you plug a normal tv aerial into the NOW TV Smart box, once it has completed tuning you will have whatever selection of freeview channels you can get on a regular tv (via a normal tv aerial) at your location.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have taken a few more photos of the main TV Guide screen showing the Now TV and Radio channels layout.

Also took two extra photos (with the rubbish camera on my phone) of the Tennis on the BBC HD channel which looks stunning using the Now TV smart box. Smiley Indifferent

Must admit the Freeview HD picture from the box looks really amazing. Smiley Very Happy

Promise no more photos. Smiley Happy

Spoiler
smart box ui 6.jpg

Spoiler
smart box ui 5.jpg

Spoiler
smart box 7.jpg

Spoiler
smart box 8.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anyone know when they are going to sell these new boxes on Amazon?

Also does anyone know where else you can buy just the box on its own?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have checked the usual suspects websites such has Amazon, Argos, Tesco, John Lewis, Currys & PC World, and has of todays date, only the NowTV store currently sells the new smart box for £40 on its own and at the moment only Argos appears to be selling the smart box with the vouchers included.

The only other places that i know that sell the older black now tv boxes are places like Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons but i can't check they websites on the internet.

My sneaky feeling is that most of the above retailers may stock the new smart box with the vouchers included, but possibly only the NowTV store will sell the smart box on it's own (though i might be wrong).

How desperate are you to purchase the new smart box, and why not buy direct from the NowTV website store or have you got some Amazon gift vouchers to get rid of.

I am guessing you have already tried emailing both Amazon and NowTV direct to see if they can give you some further information ?  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hello everyone i was in currys today and the now tv man in the shop told me they wont be stocking them for another month which a thought was strange. 

ive got a few questions if anyone with the new box could help id be very appriecative 

1) do the original now tv passes/cards/vouchers for the original boxes the same for the new smart box?

2)is there a better selection of apps then the original box? (i thought they were a poor selection on the black n white boxes) and could anybody tell me if you can get the wwe network app please

3) is there anyway of watching the freeview channels without plugging your ariel in the back?

thanks for any help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

ive got a few questions if anyone with the new box could help id be very appriecative 

1) do the original now tv passes/cards/vouchers for the original boxes the same for the new smart box?

2)is there a better selection of apps then the original box? (i thought they were a poor selection on the black n white boxes) and could anybody tell me if you can get the wwe network app please

3) is there anyway of watching the freeview channels without plugging your ariel in the back?

thanks for any help

@Anonymous User

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) No.

Also, when you spoke to the Now TV representative at Currys did you ask him are they stocking the smart box without any vouchers included or are they only selling the smart boxes with vouchers inclusive only ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the passes are the same, the apps are the same and you need an aerial to watch the freeview channels.