cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cant get Sky News

i cant get Sky News - Im using a Roku Device and it always worked up to day. I can still get Sky Sports News, and other apps work such as Ted. I've tried removing the Sky News app, restarting the device and then adding the Sky News app again.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue. 

If so the NOWTV please resolve it

If not - any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Thanks for trying. Looks like it's either a bug in the new version or the new app is no longer compatible with the White box.

The updated app does work fine on current NOW TV devices and it's definitely the case that you'll notice better performance from upgrading your box to eg the new NOW TV stick for £15 (£20 with 2 months entertainment pass or one month cinema pass). The Roku Express is a slightly more expensive alternative but also has lots of other apps that the NOW TV stick doesn't (eg Netflix, Amazon, Google Play, Rakuten TV, TV Player). Apps such as BBC iPlayer and YouTube in particular are struggling on the White box now.

However if you're otherwise happy with your White box I will tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV team to pass this info on to see if he can find out if it's a bug in the Sky News app that can be fixed rather than a general incompatibility.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Working for me on Roku and NOW TV devices. What happens when you try to watch? eg app doesn't open, stream freezes, error message appears etc and which Roku device do you have?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

its the little white box 2400sk.

what happens is that when i click the app it loads a splash screen that say Sky News but after a minute it is till the splash screen.

maybe i need to give it longer to load?

sky sports news comes up striaght away

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Ah right you're using the old white NOW TV box. Those are getting a bit slow and have trouble with newer more  hungry apps, so you may want to think about upgrading in the near future to eg a NOW TV stick or Roku Express. However can you go to My Apps and highlight the Sky News app but instead of pressing OK to open press * and post back with the version number of the app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks the app version is 1.9 whuch is says is 8 march 2018

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yep that's the new version of app that was just updated a couple of days ago.It could be two things, either the white box is now struggling with the app due to its age or an incompatibility with the latest version, or there is a bug in the app stopping it working with the White box.

Can you try giving it a couple of minutes to load to see if it 'works past the issue' and if nothing still seems to be happening try rebooting the box and trying again.

If that still doesn't help try a forced software update.

Press Home on the remote to take you to the home screen. Then do the following sequence on your remote quickly and smoothly
Home (x5) FF (x3) REW (x2)

If done correctly a Secret Screen will appear (if it doesn't, press Home to go back to the start and then try again). Choose Update software and allow it to run (even if it reports the same version as you already have).

Let me know how you get on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Andy

It still doesnt get beyond the splash screen.

I tried the secret screen keystroke but it didnt appear - maybe I need to do the sequence quicker.

I did check the software version on the system update screen and it reports software version 7.5.3 Build 4102

maybe I need to do as you suggest and get the newer box?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Thanks for trying. Looks like it's either a bug in the new version or the new app is no longer compatible with the White box.

The updated app does work fine on current NOW TV devices and it's definitely the case that you'll notice better performance from upgrading your box to eg the new NOW TV stick for £15 (£20 with 2 months entertainment pass or one month cinema pass). The Roku Express is a slightly more expensive alternative but also has lots of other apps that the NOW TV stick doesn't (eg Netflix, Amazon, Google Play, Rakuten TV, TV Player). Apps such as BBC iPlayer and YouTube in particular are struggling on the White box now.

However if you're otherwise happy with your White box I will tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV team to pass this info on to see if he can find out if it's a bug in the Sky News app that can be fixed rather than a general incompatibility.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Andy

I'll get one of the new boxes.

Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Cheers

Mycroft

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah, if everything else is working you could wait a few days to see if Tony can find anything out and then decide what you want to do from there. In the meantime you can find out more about the new stick here

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

PS unlike the White box which can connect to RCA sockets on your TV, the new stick has to be plugged into a HDMI port on your TV, if your TV doesn't have a HDMI port  then the stick won't work.

Good luck whichever you decide.