cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you delete apps e.g. You tube from the box

Hi I was just wondering if there is a way you can delete unwanted apps off of the box completely I have a 7 year old and would rather he didn't have you tube I can't seem to find a way to do it any help would be appreciated x
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

No, unfortunately there's no way currently to prevent someone installing apps if they know how to do it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

You can delete apps apart from the NOW TV app and some of the Sky branded ones such as Sky Store.

To remove YouTube, go to My Apps on the homescreen, highlight the app with your remote but don't open it, press * on the remote and choose remove app. Please note there's no way to prevent your child from finding the app in the App Store and installing it again I'm afraid.

If your child uses the NOW TV app you might like to enable your parental PIN to help prevent him watching content above a certain certificate level.

https://account.nowtv.com/parental-pin

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes that is what he has done in the past I was hoping there was a way you could take it off completely I have already got the parental locks on but the don't seem to apply for the apps 😞 X
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

No, unfortunately there's no way currently to prevent someone installing apps if they know how to do it.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sneaky little things arn't they... kids Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem! Really not happy regarding my daughter being able to download the app without a password or pin, when I have previously deleted it! My daughter recently found out how babies were made thanks to you tube!!! Smiley Mad

Now TV this is NOT on!! This needs to be changed!! ASAP!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have the exact same problem! Really not happy regarding my daughter being able to download the app without a password or pin, when I have previously deleted it! My daughter recently found out how babies were made thanks to you tube!!! Smiley Mad

Now TV this is NOT on!! This needs to be changed!! ASAP!!

@Anonymous User

Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about this issue adding a password or pin to our app store is something we can look into adding in the future

To help ensure this does not happen again you can set parental controls on youtube with these steps

• Log in to your account. YouTube users can sign in with either a Google or YouTube account. ...
  • Navigate to YouTube, and open the safety settings. When the YouTube home page loads up, look for the "Safety" link near the bottom of the page, and click on it.
  • Turn the safety mode on. ...
  • Log out to lock in the changes.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Aaron

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have put you tube on this safety mode. It seems that this only blocks ‘adult content’. And what my daughter watched was from a scientific view luckily, but that isn’t the Point-I wasn’t quite ready for her to Learn that! And I would of preferred to have spoken to her first! There is an app we use on their iPads called kids tube which is much much better and is screened before videos are published. I am horrified that my daughter can access this through your boxes, and I’m now looking at different tv viewing options. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

It has come to my attention that You Tube isn't situable for my 7 year old daughter, who has recently learnt how babies are made from this app! I have deleted the app several times on our Smart Now TV box which we have in our living room. But I have found that my 7 year old just reinstalls the app!! Surely there should be a password or pin for downloading apps so my daughter can not download anything I am not happy with!!??

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Unfortunately there's currently no way to permanently delete (or even lock) apps located within the 'App Store'...