cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I use a VPN connection to access my NowTv stick in Europe?

I have moved to Portugal and still want to use my NowTv sticks here. If I get a VPN connection will this allow me to continue to use my NowTv sticks? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You can certainly try but it’s no guarantee that it’ll work.

Much in the same way as Amazon fire sticks 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You can certainly try but it’s no guarantee that it’ll work.

Much in the same way as Amazon fire sticks 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Gav. Don’t really want to buy it if it won’t work 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Haven't used it often, but I do know that some VPNs work with NOW, its a matter of finding the right one.

That being said, it has always been on my Amazon Fire stick, as I know that VPN apps are not avaliable to download on Roku branded devices. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @gavs82008 

Last I heard, Now detects VPNs and declines to work.

But there are plenty of free/free trial VPNs out there you can use to check this, without spending any money.

You used to have 30 days’ roaming on a UK stick abroad in the EU, but that stopped when we left.

In Spain, I used to use a Smart DNS service; again, you can get free trials. These try to catch the packets that seek location information, and lie to them that you are in the UK. It’s a bit whack-a-mole, as the streaming services try to outwit Smart DNS, and the Smart DNS morphs to cope, but it did mostly work. (which puzzles me, as I can think of several ways to entirely outsmart Smart DNS, though none of them seem to be in use).

I put the Smart DNS on my router, which solved the problem of devices where I couldn’t change the DNS, and also meant I didn’t have to alter all my devices’ DNS individually.

But if you get one of those glossy free magazines so beloved of the Iberians, you will find all sorts of ads for helpful services for expats wanting a taste of home (he said, obliquely).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.