cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brand new now tv smartbox

Is it normal for this new box be making a humming sound and be scorching hot to the touch? My other tv equipment gets warm to hot but not this hot and humming noise.
9 REPLIES 9
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

No, the NOW TV 'smart' box should not get scorching hot to the touch (mine never did). The noise you hear is it's internal fan working over-time!

I suggest you return your box to your place of purchase and ask for a replacement 😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah the smart box does run extremely hot due to the quad core processor and the noise that you are hearing is the inbuilt fan.

I have owned my box for over a year and even working at these warm to touch surface temperatures it's been hundred percent reliable.

Also my BT 4K YouView box has a similar noise level and operates at the same sort of temperatures.

Just make sure there is plenty of natural ventilation around the box and don't place anything on top of the smart box and you should be fine if you can live with the fan noise, which to be honest doesn't bother me. 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

To follow on...

Although the smart box does get hot. It should not get scortching hot. ie: you should be able to touch the top of the box without feeling the need to pull your fingers/hand away!

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Like @SeeMoreDigital advised if the box is so hot that you cant keep your hands on the box surface and you are worried about safety such has a potential fire or electrical hazzard then unplug the box and take it back to the retailer where you purchased it from and ask for a replacement or refund.

Suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for ur reply very helpfull
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will do thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for ur advice
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm taking no risks after grenfell tower going to reconnect my roku hd little black box without freeview and revert to fiddling with numerous remotes to change source and return this to retailer. Thanks everyone!
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Good decision @Anonymous User,

Better safe than....... You should not have any problems getting your product exchanged 😉

Cheers