cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Box no longer turns itself off

The box used to go into standby whenever I put the TV into standby but now it stays on. I can hear the fan whirring and if I turn the TV on it's still playing on the channel that was on.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV has rolled out a patch fix for this and it works on the NowTV 4K and NowTV older black boxes.

Not sure about the NowTV Freeview Smart box where i am seeing mixed reports on the forum.

Firstly have you gone into the box settings under System > Power > Auto Power Settings and made sure the "After 20 minutes of no interaction" is ticked ?

if it's already ticked, then maybe try unticking and ticking the box again.

Then leave the box on the main home screen for over 20 minutes without pressing any buttons on your remote to see if the box powers down.

If that doesn't work then maybe also try a forced software update on the box by following these instructions.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

If that doesn't work then report the issue is still happening on the NowTV Freeview Smart box version to NowTV live chat.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Thanks. Just checked and it does turn off if it's on the home screen. It used to turn off regardless of the page it was left on as long as the TV was in standby. But I'll just have to remember to switch to the home screen before turning the TV off in future.

Miketurn
Scholar 3

Just came on to post about this issue. My box keeps on running even though the switch off after 20 mins is selected.

It's annoying hearing the fan whining on and on as it sits there all night.

The new software really isn't much good, and I'm on the latest. 😟

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Miketurn 

Did you leave the NowTV Freeview Smart box on the main NowTV Home Screen ?

Maybe when leaving on the home screen, don't leave it with the live TV tile box highlighted which might not trigger the 20 minutes of no interaction because it's still detecting the Freeview channel running in the background.

I don't use my NowTV Freeview Smart box anymore to test if the above works or not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah it's still an issue for me too. It turned off once when I went back to the home screen and left it, but seems like that was a fluke. Agree about the fan noise.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Last night i dug out my old NowTV Freeview Smart box, where i set the box up and loaded the latest firmware on it via the secret menu screen and forced a software update (now running 9.3.3 build 4104-16).

Then i left it on the "best of catchup" screen menu section and within 20 minutes by selecting the "20 minutes of no interaction" box option in the NowTV box System menu the NowTV Freeview Smart Box switched off for me and remained off when i got up this morning.

I will try this again tonight before going to bed by leaving the NowTV Freeview Smart box on the main home screen page by pressing the Home Screen button to see if the NowTV box automatically powers down and switches off.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

My NowTV Freeview Smart box also automatically switched off with no interaction around 20 minutes when i left the box on the NowTV Home Screen.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wish I had the same luck. Made sure I had the option ticked and forced the update download on the secret menu as suggested. It stays on.

Now I'm wondering if it only works if I leave the TV on, and that putting my TV in standby is somehow preventing the NowTV shutdown process from firing.