cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Blank screen after TV and AV Receiver powerdown?

Hi All,

New to Now TV, as of about 3 days ago! Bought a Smart Box, and overall we're impressed - certainly in terms of content!

But...

We have our box connected to a Yamaha AV Receiver via HDMI. In turn, the output of the AV Receiver goes to an input on our (rather old now!) Pioneer Plasma TV. All works fine, until we turn the Yamaha and Pioneer off. When we switch back on, the white (or blue?!) light on the Now TV Box is on, but we get a blank screen. 

It's worth noting, that when the AV Receiver is not detecting any input to it, it outputs a preset picture. Clearly it's getting something, but nothing to actually work with. The only option is to pull the power cable on the Now box for a couple of seconds, and plug it back in again, then it reboots and all is fine.

I've read threads here of similar issues, but seemingly only as "one-offs". This is each and every time we switch our setup off/on.

Could we have a duff box? Is there a setting I should be looking for?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue between the nowtv smart box, AV Reciever and TV.

You may have to experiment with different start up of your devices in different sequences, where i would start with switching on your AV Receiver first, then the TV and finally the smart box and try different variations of the switching on sequences.

Also maybe try a different HDMI cable and HDMI port on your AV receiver and TV.

See if going to the nowtv box menu settings under control other devices by disabling 1 touch play makes any difference and playing around with the CEC HDMI control of your TV / AV reciever settings.

Whilst in the box settings also have a play around with the screen saver and power options to see if it makes any difference.

If you are still getting no luck, then does your TV have an audio optical or coaxial out ?

Where i would temporary hook up the smart box directly into one of your TV's HDMI input ports and if the box is playing & operating correctly then maybe consider running an audio out cable from your TV into the AV reciever for getting sound out of your speakers when watching on the nowtv box. 

Also if you have second TV in the house you could temporary hook it up just to see if the nowtv box is showing the same symptoms like when using on your AV reciever and main TV (no need to connect an aerial if one is not available on the second TV for testing purposes, where you need a TV with an HDMI port). 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Now devices are intended to be plugged straight into your TV.  Are you using the AV device due to not having HDMI on your TV?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
But if I connect it direct to tv I'll have no sound! Going via av receiver
and then to tv works fine for sky box, blu ray etc...? This works too after
every reset!
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue between the nowtv smart box, AV Reciever and TV.

You may have to experiment with different start up of your devices in different sequences, where i would start with switching on your AV Receiver first, then the TV and finally the smart box and try different variations of the switching on sequences.

Also maybe try a different HDMI cable and HDMI port on your AV receiver and TV.

See if going to the nowtv box menu settings under control other devices by disabling 1 touch play makes any difference and playing around with the CEC HDMI control of your TV / AV reciever settings.

Whilst in the box settings also have a play around with the screen saver and power options to see if it makes any difference.

If you are still getting no luck, then does your TV have an audio optical or coaxial out ?

Where i would temporary hook up the smart box directly into one of your TV's HDMI input ports and if the box is playing & operating correctly then maybe consider running an audio out cable from your TV into the AV reciever for getting sound out of your speakers when watching on the nowtv box. 

Also if you have second TV in the house you could temporary hook it up just to see if the nowtv box is showing the same symptoms like when using on your AV reciever and main TV (no need to connect an aerial if one is not available on the second TV for testing purposes, where you need a TV with an HDMI port). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Early days but I think changing sequence and delaying a few seconds between steps seems to help! Will see what happens for a few days!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I spoke too soon! I'll keep trying your suggestions!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to add, maybe try setting the nowtv smart box to 720p rather than Auto or 1080p in the box display settings to see if that also makes any difference.

Also temporary bypass the AV reciever and plug the nowtv box straight into one of the HDMI ports on your Pioneer TV just to see if the smart box still behaves the same when the AV receiver is not in the HDMI chain.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all, 

Sorry for the late response. 

So seemingly the answer was indeed the hdmi handshake... hdmi from now box to tv (bypassing av receiver) then audio back from tv to now box seems fine....

Thanks again all!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to bring this up again. I'm havi a very similar problem.

I power off the TV and Now TV box together, but when I turn then on again I just get a blank screen and the TV says no input detected. It's defo the HDMI handshake issue because if I change input on the TV then change back, I can see the UI of the Now TV box.

What did you do to resolve this issue for yourself?

I'm about to try all thrbsuggesthe of different hdmi cables and ports to see if that solves it.

Cheers

Rich

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hiya,

To be honest I don't think I did but I don't remember... we bought a new tv
with now tv built in... not had any problems that way! Not suggesting it's
a solution, just what we did!