cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Black window to the side of UKTV Play content

Would it be because the content isn't in high enough definition to display in full screen?

On plugging in my new box to replace my old white box, I didn't switch the HDMI cables as it saved fiddling at the back of the TV and I thought they were identical. Would there be any benefit to switching them over? 

Thanks, sorry if it's a silly question. 

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Do you mean when watching some old TV shows on the UKTV Play App that when streaming the episode the picture on your TV has a black vertical border down each side of your TV screen ?

If so, then this means it is an older TV programme that was filmed under the 4:3 aspect ratio before wide screen 16:9 came into play and is quite normal.

I am assuming you are using a modern widescreen television and make sure both your TV picture settings and nowtv box is set to Auto when it comes to the picture size / aspect ratio.

Apologies if i have misunderstood your post.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Thanks once again.

Yes that's what I meant to say. I had assumed this would be the case but just wanted to check. It's not the most modern of TV's (2007) but is widescreen and modern in comparison to the content I was watching. It doesn't happen on my iPad but I'm guessing this would be explained by the 32 inch screen Vs the 9.7? 

So there is no difference at all between the HDMI cable from the original white box and the one supplied with the latest smart box?

All set to auto - it said 1080i so everything is as it should be?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I believe an ipad screen is 4:3, hence the reason you are not seeing the black bars on the side of the ipad screen when watching older content filmed at 4:3 aspect ratio.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I missed the bit in your previous post about HDMI cables.

Unless your TV is 4K UHD which you say it is not, then the HDMI cable that came with the older white nowtv box should work with your 2007 HD television over HDMI spec profile 1.3 / 1.4.

Should you ever uograde your TV to 4K UHD then you may find that you will need to use the HDMI cable that came supplied with your new NowTV 4K smart box where this cable is HDMI profile 2.0 high speed.

If it was me i would use the HDMI cable that came with the NowTV 4 K smart box anyway (unless the cable is too short).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add to this, I'm currently watching an episode of The Bill on the UKTV Play app. According to the Internet the episode I am watching is from 2002 where the show filmed in 16:9 from 1998-2009. The black border is still there. Might try out some more modern shows in a bit if there are any to see if it could be an issue worth contacting UKTV about.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

See if something like "Silent Witness" a more modern TV show on the UKTV Play App is playing in 16:9 aspect ratio on your windscreen TV ?

Where this TV show looks right to me in 16:9 with no black side bars on my Panasonic 4K TV using the NowTV smart box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Silent Witness plays with no bars for me.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If Silent Witness played in 16:9 with no black side bars on your wide screen television, then i would say that both your nowtv box and TV is set correctly with regards to the picture aspect ratio.

I you believe some of the newer The Bill episodes should be in 16.9 and not the older format of 4.3 then you need to take this up directly with UKTV Play Help Support Dept.