cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bad sound on Spotify

Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing extremely bad audio quality with the Spotify channel on NowTV Smart Box/Roku 4? It's like its distorted no matter what volume level its at. I have it connected to a surround receiver and have tried both HDMI and optical connections and the audio is still terrible. I have done all troubleshooting possible including swapping out cables, using different input ports, turning off all music enhancements on the receiver and using all sound modes, including the best one which is "none" and the audio still sounds terrible.

I have no coding experience but could it be specific to the app or could the NowTV just have really poor audio quality that's really highlighted by music and an external receiver? Although it still sounds bad on the TV speakers. TV channels sound ok.
I have heard mixed stories of who wrote and supports the Spotify channel, and it certainly is old looking and in desperate need of an update, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

The Spotify app on Chromecast sounds much better on the TV speakers but I can't connect that to my amp.
I read the same problem was noted on the US Roku 4, but an update seemed to sort it out.
11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Another forum member also mentioned this and when i tested it for my self the Spotify app through my soundbar to my ears it sounded fine.

Bit of a long shot, have you tried deleting the Spotify app in My Apps on the smart box and then reinstall the app again in App Store to see if there is any improvement with the sound ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yes through a proper amp, it's a lot poorer than the iOS appSmiley Sad

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Thanks for the info. 

That's interesting to know that the Spotify app is poor on the smart box, also is it the same on the NowTV black box and is it effecting all the Roku devices with the Spotify app  ?

To be honest i only listen to Spotify on my Squeeze boxes through my HiFi systems and never use any of the Spotify apps on my devices connected to my TV soundbar.

If i got some spare time tonight (just for testing purposes only) i think i will dig out my old Chromecast from the cupboard and hook it up through my soundbar to see how the sound compares against the nowtv smart box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know it's probably up to Spotify to supply the app but the Chromecast one is much better in sound and the use of it.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just plugged my Chromecast into my TV Sound Bar and did a comparison between the Spotify app via my Android phone casted onto the Chromecast against the Spotify app on the NowTV smart box.

To my ears the sound quality of the Spotify app on the Chromecast via my Android phone sounded far better (there is more clarity to the music) where the music on the NowTV Spotify app sounded more muddy with voices and instruments.

Because this is a third party app not developed by NowTV, i would imagine you would need to contact Spotify direct.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps @Anonymous User

To be honest there are so many other ways to access Spotify not sure why anyone would use the NOW TV box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

To be honest i only use the Spotify app via my Squeeze box server Nas "plug in" into my HiFi equipment around the house.

Like you said i wouldn't even consider using the Spotify app on the NowTV box or any of my other Spotify app devices connected to my TV or TV soundbar, but i appreciate it could be useful for some people.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Time to invest in a Chromecast Audio dongle, have been available for as little as £15 lately and do a good job in converting a 'dumb' amp into a streaming one. Spotify sounds excellent though mine and I suspect that the reason the Now boxes Spotify sounds worse is because it probably isn't using the 320kbps streams but a lower quality one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe that the Spotify app is actually built by Roku using the Spotify API. Either the Roku forums or the Spotify 3rd Party App forum is the place to complain.