cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC iPlayer on Smart Box

The BBC iPlayer app will not load on my Now TV smart box. It always has the same error message 'there was a problem loading iPlayer, this is normally intermittent so it's worth trying again' it has said this continuously for a few months. I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling to no avail. I have a standard Now TV box in another room and the iPlayer on there works just fine.

Can anybody suggest what may be going on or how I go about fixing it?

Many thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The BBC IPlayer works fine on my NowTV smart box.

A quick question have you tried a factory reset on the smart box by going into the menu settings > system > advanced system settings > factory reset and enter the four digit code shown on your TV screen ?

Obviously please ignore my post if you have already tried this.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hello 🙂

The iPlayer app is a third party app made by the BBC. Since reinstalling it hasn't helped, you may need to contact them over it. 😞

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The BBC IPlayer works fine on my NowTV smart box.

A quick question have you tried a factory reset on the smart box by going into the menu settings > system > advanced system settings > factory reset and enter the four digit code shown on your TV screen ?

Obviously please ignore my post if you have already tried this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Thank you this worked should have tried it before posting here but thanks so much 👍
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have read on the internet that some Samsung and Panasonic smart TV owners are currently having issues with the BBC IPlayer App where like you are experiencing on your smart box the BBC IPlayer page is continually loading.

My Panasonic TV BBC IPlayer app still seems to be working fine though.

Perhaps it might be worth contacting BBC IPlayer Help Dept to see what they say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/getting-started/contact 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Damn, come to use the app again today and it's back to where it was. Don't want to have to factory reset every time I want to use it 😵
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That's weird, i would have thought a factory reset would have fixed your BBC IPlayer issues.

Couple of quick questions what BBC IPlayer software version is loaded onto your smart box (mine is version 2.4 build 80000026 which works fine on my smart box).

When in the BBC IPlayer settings have you selected the Beta option or standard IPlayer ?

Assuming under Video Quality you have selected Best, what happens if you change it to standard ?

Have you setup a BBC Account in the settings (i haven't on my box) ?

I don't think any of the above will have any bearing whatsoever, to be honest i am little baffled where the BBC IPlayer on your other nowtv box seems to work perfectly fine on the same home network.

Maybe somebody else will come up with some further suggestions.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having this issue with IPlayer on my brand new smart box. Factory reset doesn't always work now - HELP!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue on brand new now tv box. Just keeps showing loading then same error every time....about it being intermittent problem. Yet to be able to access iplayer but ithub, 4od ok. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I gave up and have to switch to Chromecast if I want BBC. The smart box has so much potential but falls down at so many points.