cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.8GHz wifi not working on channel 100

I have had to change my 5.8GHz wifi channel on my router to ch100 to avoid interference from neighbours various SSIDs (BT Hubs, Sky Q boxes etc).

All of my devices are fine and have reconnected (laptops, phones, tablets etc), EXCEPT my NOWTV Smart box, and my NOWTV box.

I have just found mention on here that they may only support the US 5.8GHz wifi channels (which USED to exclude ch100). Is this actually true? Is this still the case?
If so, why are the boxes sold in the UK not compliant to the UK standard?

AND can this be rectified by a firmware update?

At the moment I have two unusable devices and an angry wife who can't watch GoT!
HELP please... 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had this same issue a few months ago and found channels 36 to 48 worked on the 5ghz bandwidth. Anything above this failed to connect suggesting the wifi is being limited through the firmware. I agree applying a 'fix' should be feasible and needs applying in a future update.

A moderator should pass this issue to their technical team, and provide us with a response.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have both the NowTV smart box & NowTV standard black box where i have tested them and found both to work fine over the 5ghz wifi band connected to my BT Home Hub dual band router.

Haven't checked on my BT Router what channels are set over the 5 ghz frequency band (just left in auto to be honest) and not sure about the channel 100 question in your post.

To be honest i haven't tested the NowTV boxes for long periods, due to that i always tend to use a hard wired Ethernet connection on all my entertainment internet devices which always gives the most stable viewing experience.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just ignore my previous post i haven't answered your question (i shouldn't have replied in the first place it was a pointless post on my part sorry) Smiley Sad.

Hopefully somebody on here who has more knowledge about wifi routers when operating on the different frequency wifi range or has tested the 5.8ghz channel 100 on the Now TV or Roku boxes can answer your question. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had this same issue a few months ago and found channels 36 to 48 worked on the 5ghz bandwidth. Anything above this failed to connect suggesting the wifi is being limited through the firmware. I agree applying a 'fix' should be feasible and needs applying in a future update.

A moderator should pass this issue to their technical team, and provide us with a response.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Rokus won't connect to DFS-required channels so I wouldn't be surprised if NOW TV boxes are the same, although I haven't tested myself. As to whether this will change or not with future updates I honestly have no idea.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks... A useful if extremely disappointing answer 😞

That spectrum is completely clear in my locality so would be ideal if I could use it. Seems a shame that it would be a simple 'tweak' in the firmware to enable them...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

you say you had to change channel on 5ghz you shouldnt have to.

only 2.4ghz as its so messed up as all routhers should be on one channel 1/6/11

i work with a lot off routers and say channel 36 to 44 is to be used 36 been high and 44 lower on signal

5ghz was ment to be clear and it is

as for using channel 100 its def a no no and can cause many probelms for other people in your area