cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 surround sound

Hi All

I have been using now tv for several years via LG smart t.v.

I have a Sonos 5.1 setup which works lovely on amazon video and get full 5.1 output, however only get stereo sound on now tv app through same t.v.

I have noticed a dedicated now tv box is on sale and offers 7.1 sound, can i get 5.1 surround sound through my sonos system whilst watching movies using this box?

Simplified does now t.v broadcast movies in Dolby surround sound yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately No, i watch NowTV on my TV with a 2.1 soundbase which is OK in my Living Room setup, where i avoid watching NowTV on my Projector with my AV Receiver due to stereo only & 720p where the picture is to soft on a large screen (Dolby Pro Logic Processing on my AV Receiver doesn't cut the mustard IMO once you have listened to the newer audio codecs).

Tend to watch Netflix and Amazon Video in my Cinema Room which offers 5.1 Dobly Digital Plus with my streaming subscription.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The accepted solution isn’t really a solution - does anyone know if broadcasts on the now tv box are streamed with 5.1 sound?

Annoyingly an old ps3 I had output broadcasts in 5.1 but not my new Apple TV 4K. I wouldn’t mind getting an answer to this from the now tv team as I’ve just signed up to the £100 a year deal for movies and entertainment.

Sky need to understand that if they don’t match what’s on offer from the likes of Netflix and amazon then people will just stop using their service altogether.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

NowTV doesn't currently offer 5.1 surround sound on their streaming service, if you got an AV reciever you could use on of the 5.1 pseudo codecs but it not the same as true 5.1 surround sound Smiley Sad

Here's a NowTV article linked below which mentions that NowTV doesn't currently output 5.1 surround sound.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-tv-features

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems crazy that the feature lists of NowTV boxes list it's capability of 5.1 and 7.1 audio, which I've no reason to doubt is correct, but their content still isn't broadcast in 5.1.

Deal breaker for me. After my £4.99 cinema re-introductory offer month, I'm out. Will keep an eye out to see if it's eventually added.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, this is incredible! It's 2018!

I tried to find the settings in NowTV to turn on surround sound, and there aren't any!

My Amazon Prime gives me 4k HDR and 5.1 DD surround. As does Netflix.

Unbelievable!

I might cancel the Film ticket and ask for the money back. I certainly won't get another month's ticket.

And Netflix is the same price, and doesn't try to divide stuff into Films and "Entertainment".

Nor does it count your devices (I assume NowTV still does this?)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's even more incredible in 2020!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have now tv in dolby digtal plus on entertainment -movies on now tv old black box