cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 surround sound

Hi All

I have been using now tv for several years via LG smart t.v.

I have a Sonos 5.1 setup which works lovely on amazon video and get full 5.1 output, however only get stereo sound on now tv app through same t.v.

I have noticed a dedicated now tv box is on sale and offers 7.1 sound, can i get 5.1 surround sound through my sonos system whilst watching movies using this box?

Simplified does now t.v broadcast movies in Dolby surround sound yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately No, i watch NowTV on my TV with a 2.1 soundbase which is OK in my Living Room setup, where i avoid watching NowTV on my Projector with my AV Receiver due to stereo only & 720p where the picture is to soft on a large screen (Dolby Pro Logic Processing on my AV Receiver doesn't cut the mustard IMO once you have listened to the newer audio codecs).

Tend to watch Netflix and Amazon Video in my Cinema Room which offers 5.1 Dobly Digital Plus with my streaming subscription.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately No, i watch NowTV on my TV with a 2.1 soundbase which is OK in my Living Room setup, where i avoid watching NowTV on my Projector with my AV Receiver due to stereo only & 720p where the picture is to soft on a large screen (Dolby Pro Logic Processing on my AV Receiver doesn't cut the mustard IMO once you have listened to the newer audio codecs).

Tend to watch Netflix and Amazon Video in my Cinema Room which offers 5.1 Dobly Digital Plus with my streaming subscription.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any ideas on if and when 5.1 surround sound will be offered?

Netflix and Amazon offer on many programmes and movies already and feel especially with movies that now tv gets as they get most of the newer premier's that the surround sound would be a great addition to the service.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same disappointment on Apple TV box as well as Samsung TV. High def picture but low def sound.

Come on Sky, keep up with the competition and give us 5.1 on all hardware platforms, not just your own.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will they though? Their Sky platform is for premium TV
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think they should offer 5.1 sound. I remember when picture quality wasn't great at all on now tv but now it's pretty much HD quality and have no issues with quality of picture but the sound I just don't understand why they are still broadcasting in stereo only.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You know Davey

I'm guessing that the majority of Now TV users are still using stereo TVs and that 5.1/7.1 surround sound is still a minority sport.

Besides, they would have to buy in and test a system that can deliver 5.1/7.1 to those who can make use of it while still catering to stereo and 2.1 users, not impossible but a sizable investment nonetheless.

Plus, I sure if the ROI  (return on investment) had worked out they would have implemented 5.1/7.1 already.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Set your tv audio output to DTS then full 5.1 , works well on my Yamaha av.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Your AV receiver may be telling you that you're getting 5.1, but it will be simulating the surroundsound output, meaning it's not true 5.1 because NowTV sound output is stereo. However, NowTV is Audio output is Dolby ProLogic enabled. Hence the surroundsound simulation your AV receiver is giving you

You have good taste in AV equipment by the way Yamaha is one of the best

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@commanda6 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Your AV receiver may be telling you that you're getting 5.1, but it will be simulating the surroundsound output, meaning it's not true 5.1 because NowTV sound output is stereo. However, NowTV is Audio output is Dolby ProLogic enabled. Hence the surroundsound simulation your AV receiver is giving you

You have good taste in AV equipment by the way Yamaha is one of the best

100% Agree on this.