cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

4k Smart TV Box

So yesterday my 4K NOWTV box has decided it just going to flicker on and off on screen. Picture comes up for a few seconds then switches back off again. It’s linked through a Yamaha aventage amp. Turn the amp on and no problem. Turn the amp off on HDMI pass through and the box starts turning picture on an off with “No signal” coming up almost as if it can’t hand shake. Turn the tv on without the amp and it just turns on and off (amp has hdmi pass through and doesn’t need to be on to pass signal) Tried several HDMI leads (new high speed) resolution is 4K HDR @ 60hz. New Phillips 4K HDR tv and amp can pass a 4K HDR signal up to and including Dolby Vision. Occasionally it stays on but most of the time the picture comes on for a few seconds then off with no signal and so on and so forth on and off a couple of seconds at a time. Worked fine up til today! Panasonic Blu Ray 4K Player working fine on pass through as well as Chromecast.

5 REPLIES 5
Legend 5
Legend 5

Did you see super shoppers yesterday? They had a bit on 4K TV. Apparently to get it properly you have to sit about a meter from the TV!

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:

Did you see super shoppers yesterday? They had a bit on 4K TV. Apparently to get it properly you have to sit about a meter from the TV!

It amazes me how people can go out and spend a mint on a new 4K TV without any research AND without any care going into calibrating their set after purchase for maximum picture quality.

As for that Super Shoppers piece? I was left flabbergasted by how quickly they ran through that particular story. Their claim that you quote Apparently to get it properly you have to sit about a meter from the TV! (SIC) only brushed over the top of the 'science'. Viewing distances all comes down to the size of set, it's not a 'one size fits all' approach.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tv-calibration-101-how-to-tune-up-your-new-tv/ AND https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/ for those who don't know Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Confusing answer if I’m honest. But thanks for your input.

Anyway. Been on chats with NOWTV “technical”. They don’t know how to fix (I think they are avoiding- the box is faulty answer). Everything else works but I can’t get an answer out of NOWTV. The only answer I can get is only link to your tv not amp - but that bypasses home cinema or I always have to have the home cinema on which isn’t always needed.

Think I’ll return the NOWTV box to the retailer for an exchange. 

Oh the 4k HDR on the Netflix app is excellent. There is a difference but as another poster put it. Screen size makes a difference. HDR colour accuracy is excellent also. Shame me the box keeps turning on and off! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

If you are only seeing a slight difference on HDR you may need to look at your tv settings etc. There is a huge difference between 4K UHD and 4K HDR, something you should definitely notice unless you're sitting very far from your screen and/or haven't set it all up properly. Of course no-one would invest in 4K HDR gear and make that mistake anyway, or would they?!?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I didn’t say there was only a slight difference. 

I was answering the post before that said had watched a program stating little difference.

I said there is a difference and the 4k Netflix app is excellent and HDR is a big difference with colour accuracy.

What I was originally trying to do was get an answer to the problem I am having with the NOWTV 4k HDCP compliance issue I’m experiencing and thought someone might be having a similar problem. But people decided to answer with whether 4k is worth it after watching some program that was claiming if it was worth it or not. Strange answer if I’m honest...