cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

is there any way to replace the standard router?

Hi, is there anyway to replace the standard NowTV router, my major issue is that I am unable to add in any sort of the control over the times that certain devices can access the internet.

I had a BT router before which was great for this.

I've tried using the firewalll scheduler but it just blocks everything.

cheers

42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've tried speaking to them several times, but their "technical team" simply quote" we cannot support an alternative router"
I dont want them to suport it, I just want the connection settings - seems they are not very technical at all, and nobody can tell me what the settings need to be, even though OFCOM have told all ISP's they have to release the details.
I will be making a formal complaint to OFCOM. I will also move to another provider as soon as my contract ends on 20th November!
Shame, all I want to do is use my own router! Maybe its because, they lock down their routers to limit your bandwidth max download speed, and you cannot change it, and I KNOW I will get faster speeds from the line from when I was with BT before!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My connection is ADSL2+ so not FTTC and not VDSL. I guess the NR801 router supplied by NowTV is capable of both (ADSL2+ & VDSL). My experience is that it is possible to replace this router with my own router. I sniffed out the username/password with Wireshark (udp.port==67 etc, I found detailed instructions online). All other settings as standard (PPPoA, VC, MTU=1500, VPI=0, VCI=38). My own router is rather old hat, running Acorp Sprinter LAN120 f/w from 2007 on Dlink DSL-300 h/w, really just standard AR7 and nothing special (except it allows me to set up Wake-on-LAN whilst NR801 doesn't). Anyway the above is sufficient for authentication, no MAC address spoofing is necessary.

I guess if your connection is fibre then MER/DHCP option 61 may be a requirement. But it makes me wonder - why are these routers shipped with unique username/password if authentication is via MAC address? Perhaps authentication is possible both ways, and username/password is the fallback option. Worth a try?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for the tip re wire shark !

Skinnersplace
Advocate

Hi, Just ordered the fibre service.

Looking at the formum it kind of implys that there is no modem mode / option to use myown modem / router insead of the supplied kit?

Can someone verify this?

Kind Regards

Skinnersplace

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Skinnersplace

The Now TV HUB is technically both a Router/Modem in one. You can use your own Router if you wish as we cannot stop you from doing this however Now TV would not offer support on this in anyway as we would prefer that customers use our own equipment and so we do not offer support for any 3rd party equipment. So if you choose to use a 3rd Party router then you would have to get the details to set this up yourself as we do not have individual settings for every router. Also if at some point you have technical issues and you contact our support team you would need to have the Now TV HUB plugged in when calling otherwise we can not troublehsoot any issues you may have at that time. I hope this gives a better understanding.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

why do now tv not supply dual band routers ?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

why do now tv not supply dual band routers ?

@Anonymous User Can you help here? 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The decision was made to launch Now TV with the single band router as we were not sure if it would take off and if there would be a demand for it. However as we grow our bussiness other options will then become available down the line. Like Dual Band routers as its something we are looking in to offering in the future. At the moment though the normal HUB is what will be given when signing up until we launch other versions later down the line.

Thanks for the tag @caseyb1993

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think providing outdated and very inadequate technology was a mistake. I changed to the Now TV package from BT and am frankly very unimpressed in the reduction in connectivity. I have bought extenders with only moderate results and it's only since doing more research that I discover there is little I can do to improve connectivity unless I change router.

The Now TV service suits me perfectly but is seriously let down by substandard, outdated equipment - this was a shortsighted decision on the part of Sky because there is little I, as a customer, like less than being left with the feeling that I've bought a pup. I might check out the ebay option but may just bail out - not sure if the possible return is worth the agro (I'll obviously finish watching The Soprano's boxset first though)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now I know whats been done, I'll defo leave in December.

I hadn't taken much notice of it since not working from home.
BT was 38Mb+, router. wifi was higher...decent kit...

NOW TV - single band hub, very poor wifi functionality (known about)
Router - 38Mb....WiFi-17Mb 

UNLESS THEY RELEASE DETAILS FOR USING OUR OWN ROUTERS?MODEMS........Dsl connection kit!