cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switch of DCHP?

Only had the NOW TV hub a few days but I realise the signal strength isn't great and my wireless printer loses connection in the middle of a 40 page duplex printout (No..!!!). My Son keeps complaining about disconnections.

So I've added in my own Netgear wireless gigabit router in the loft (1600 AC 5Ghz wireless router),  plugged into one port of the NowTV hub (near the master socket in the meter cupboard) and all is good again with strong connections. Indeed, although both devices are sending out wireless signals, my phone prefers the strongest, which is a 'sweet spot' on the stairs about 5 foot from the NowTV hub where the hub eventually wins over my own router's wireless some 15 foot further away.

But I was wondering how easy it is to disable the Now TV hubs DHCP server and just use it as a modem-only? It is close to the master socket in the meter cupboard, whereas my router takes a feed into the loft and serves gigabit connections and AC wireless, down the garden and into the shed! 

Then again, is it perhaps easier just to remove the NOW-TV hub altogether (accepting it will no longer be supported by NowTV, fair enough) and use my own VDSL2 router instead?  I can then take advantage of allocating fixed ip's to NAS, VPN and stuff. But I don't know what the ISP VDSL settings are though??  I assume username=Hub serial number and password=blank ?  Does it work? Anyone tried using their own router?

John.

2 REPLIES 2
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

As the combo terms require you not to use a modem not supplied by NOW TV to connect to the service we wouldn't be able to tell you how to get your connection username and password on this forum. You could try ringing the combo helpline and asking direct, otherwise you'd need to search elsewhere.

You can disable DHCP on the NOW TV Hub if you so wish by logging into the Hub and going to Advanced>LAN TCP/IP Setup. However you might prefer to let the Hub do your DHCP allocation and you can use that same page to allocate fixed IP addresses if you wish.

You could also turn off the wireless function of the Hub from the Wireless tab and just use your Netgear as the wireless access point of your network, that way other devices won't connect to the Hub by mistake.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy. I didn't spot that menu before.  Good to know.