cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow upload

Hi all!

On day 1 of the fibre.  I don't know if the 10-day line training will make much diff, but I moved from ADSL2  8.5mbps down / 1.0mb up to fibre. 

Iam 1500KM from cabinet, getting 18mbps Down (Now modem syncs at 21216 which is great) but only 0.4 mbps upload (nowTV modem syncs at 479kbps, which is not so great).

This doesn't leave much 'hand-shaking' room for download, especially if you have skype and now-tv running at same time and everything comes to a halt!)

I understand VDSL UPLOAD is a much higher frequency than download and so more susceptible to distance. But the line checker suggested 1.2mbps, so I was at least expecting 1.0mb upload.

As well, I guess this is just the joys of fibre then. Should I just wait out the 10-days line training for a miracle, or is the sync profile on day 1 a sign of what's to come?

John.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tech support team told me to wait for the completion of the 10 days and then contact them.

I also tried that MY ACCOUNT -> CHECK SERVICE STATUS but that doesn't appear to do anything, it just shows the nowtv spinning beach balls animation and never resolves into producing a page. Left it running for an hour, was still spinning when I came back with the amusing: "This shouldn't take long". I was assuming that meant about 30 seconds-ish. I might leave it running overnight and see if it ever resolves to produce anything.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi John, It seems you are very knowledgable on this subject, we will send you and email to continue this topic

Thanks the Nowtv team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I'll look forward to that.

Although my download is twice as quick (on fibre) my upload is only a few hundred  390K which strangles fast downloads and makes uploading to onedrive, or any cloud app, a very slow affair. I think when the training of the line is complete, I may consider a regrade back down to ADSL, primarily because I am not receiving the upload that was promised (ok, estimated); in fact its less than half of what I thought I was signing up to.  Likely the effects of me being too far away from the street box just make fibre an unrealistic option.

Also noticed some weird affects where the TV-NOW hub would  suddenly cause certain websites to not resolve on DNS, yet other sites do. Just normal sites. Parental settings are off btw. Google searches were fine but choosing random websites, including twitter would just not resolve on NOW's DNS or could be pinged either. I have no filtering or anti-virus blocks. Very weird. Restarting the hub fixed it. Had to do that twice today and as a result, the line-training has dropped me another 2 megs on line sync. 😞 

John.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To close this out.

I eventually downgraded from not so Fab Fibre, back to Brilliant Broadband, as fibre upload was too slow for me. This was nothing to do with Now-TV or Sky's equipment, it was more to do with my copper line-length, attenuation and me living so far away from the big green box.

To be fair to NOW-TV and openreach, the downgrade was simple, efficient and no penalty. It was only a week's wait and on time with notifications, with about 30 mins of downtime.

Simples.

Now I get a much better upload of 1mb. OK, I know this might not sound a lot, but compared to the 300K fibre was giving me, it feels like lightening to me now.

Hey,  I can even watch a 4K video download without it buffering (not that I do).  I can now edit O365 documents in onedrive without it fading to a misty-white screen with 'word is not responding'. I can even upload videos to my website or NAS backups the cloud without it telling me it will take a few hundred years to fully complete.

So I am back to happy now.

The lesson learned:  if you live more than a mile (1.6km) from the Telephone cabinet, then Fibre upload may be worse than its broadband equivalent for you. That VDSL bath-tub curve drops sharply in signal after 1.6KM (much worse than the lower frequencies of broadband do). The VDSL upload is a much higher frequency as is the first to be smothered in crosstalk and attentuation on such long distances. So, your super fast downloads can't download superfast and makes your face get super miserable, super-fast!

So we're all good.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Many thanks for reporting back. So few people do 😉

Cheers