cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow broadband

Hi,

My broadband connection has always been intermittently bad, but I put up with it because it always fixed itself eventually. However it stopped working completely last weekend. Some helpful gent on your chat service suggested to change the channel of the router to 9, which got it working again, but since then it has been awful. I can't stream on any of my devices without constant buffering and disconnection, which seems to be from my internet dropping out completely for a second or two. I have tried resetting the router and using a different wire to connect the router to the phone socket. Please help!

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What sort of broadband speeds do you normally get at your household ?

If you are a NowTV Combo Customer have you checked your service status by following the instructions in the link page below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/fix-slow-loading-buffering

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

To be honest I'm not sure what speeds I usually get, I don't check I'm afraid. I've used the status checker and it says everything is working fine, but it definitely isn't.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am not a Now TV broadband customer, but i believe you can also check the speed of your Broadband via the service status checker link or alternatively on the same link page i posted previously there is two websites links to check your internet speed.

Also, how many internet devices are you running at the same time if your internet speed is poor (are you only using one device at a time or more at your household) ?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

I have noticed that access to the NOW TV service (including to this forum) has been a bit slower than usual today...

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

How far away is the Router to your internet devices ?

What sort of WiFi signal strength is showing on your devices ?

If you are getting a poor WiFi reception signal to your devices around the home and can't relocate the router to a more closer / better signal location, would it be practically possible to run Ethernet cables to your devices ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

My speeds are showing as 20 download and 9 upload, which surely should be enough to stream properly? Signal strength on my devices is generally about half. Disconnected everything except for Xbox I was trying to watch on, but it was still just as bad.

The router is miles away from everything, as whoever installed the phone line in my house decided that the best place for it was by the front door 🙄 I've always been wireless because of that, but I bought an extra long Ethernet cable and I'll see how that goes.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

A 20 Mbps download is pretty respectable (i was expecting you to say around about 2Mbps) where NowTV recommends more than 2.5 Mbps for using their streaming service.

Sounds to me you have a WiFi signal strength issue from your Router to your devices dotted around the house.

There are things to improve your WiFi, like WiFi extenders or Home Plugs, but for now i would concentrate on the device you are going to test with an Ethernet cable to see if it gives you a more stable streaming experience.

Post back here with your findings and results when using the Ethernet cable connection on your tested device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have trouble with really bad lagging on my apps (HTC U ULTRA) this only happens when I’m on the home Wi-fi if I use 4G while I’m out it’s lightning fast with no lag starting the apps, even sat right next to the router it’s messing about and lagging despite my ookla speed test saying 33-35 mbps download 9mbps upload, you reckon changing the channel might help instead having it on automatic?

thanks Simon.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have trouble with really bad lagging on my apps (HTC U ULTRA) this only happens when I’m on the home Wi-fi if I use 4G while I’m out it’s lightning fast with no lag starting the apps, even sat right next to the router it’s messing about and lagging despite my ookla speed test saying 33-35 mbps download 9mbps upload, you reckon changing the channel might help instead having it on automatic?

thanks Simon.

@Anonymous User Resetting the router and changing the channel would be the best options at this point tbh. I take it your HTC has WiFi Bridge capabilites? It might even be worth using your phone as a repeater for the Wi-Fi signal as a means of eliminating certain troubleshooting options?