cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Short cables....

Hello and hope someone can help 🙂

Just received now tv boxes for broadband and tv (shiny new kit. Internet worked right away. What a dream :-)))

However small problem. Cables are way too short and because of where our tv is, and the internet socket, I cannot get the t.v. box connected to internet box if that makes sense (tv is far from the only internet socket thing).

Any ideas whether there are longer cables available somewhere? Or any other idea welcome :)) thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Just something that jumped out at me, Jam plans to put his router next to his TV, will this not cause the router to suffer from interference?

Agreed ukbobboy... It's not good practice to locate a wi-fi router (which is a transmitter/receiver) close to other electrical recieving devices.

Sufficed to say if anyone does have a wi-fi router located close to 'smart' media playback devices (ie: devices that require an internet connection), you're much better off using a 'wired' ethernet cable connection anyway.

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am assuming you mean an Ethernet cable from the NowTV Router to your NowTV Smart TV Box ?

If so, you can buy them pretty cheap from most electronic or computer shops or places like Amazon and Ebay etc.

You can also connect the NowTV Smart box over WiFI if you wish by selecting this option when setting up the box or going into the Smart box menu settings.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

An ethernet lead has connectors that look like this: -

410gf9z6YWL._SL500_AC_SS350_

An HDMI lead has connectors that look like this: -

41H0DdY%2BoqL._SL500_AC_SS350_

An aerial lead has connectors that look like this: -

41EPqBFuCZL._SY300_

Which leads are you referring to?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for replying so fast !
I tried to use the box for the tv but it wouldn't start at all (might have incorrectly started it then). I'll try the Wi-Fi thing hopefully that would do the work.

@SeeMoreDigital that would be the Ethernet (the one with the yellow end in the kit)! I tris using the old ones we had but as predicted by the setup guide this wouldn't work 🙂 so can we use any other cable bought elsewhere even if it's not now tv branded ? Thank you very much both for your help ! :))
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps yes this is what I was referring To, the Ethernet cable from now tv router to now tv smart box. 🙂 also it would be best if I could leave the router next to the tv instead of at the other side of the room on the floor =D
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi again @Anonymous User,

Ethernet leads come in a variety of lengths, specifications and prices. A cat5/5e will be fine 🙂

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethernet+leads+cat5

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If it was me, i would firstly try leaving the Router close to your master telephone socket and try using the NowTV smart box over wifi.

When you initial setup the NowTV smart box you will need to sign in with your nowtv username account details and then follow the step by step on screen instructions on your TV screen where the smart box will scan for available networks, then select your router and enter the wifi password.

If you find after setting up the NowTV smart box that the wifi signal is weak or you have serious buffering problems whilst watching any NowTV content or Apps on the box, then i would go down the Ethernet cable route.

Ethernet is the more stable and a much better option if you are happy running an Ethernet cable between the Router and Now TV box , but some people find running extra cables not practical in their household.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @SeeMoreDigital

Hi Guys

Just something that jumped out at me, Jam plans to put his router next to his TV, will this not cause the router to suffer from interference?

To my simple thinking process, sending and receiving electronics should be kept away from each other unless designed to be in close proximity with each other, like the Now TV box and a TV.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Agreed ukbobboy... It's not good practice to locate a wi-fi router (which is a transmitter/receiver) close to other electrical recieving devices.

Sufficed to say if anyone does have a wi-fi router located close to 'smart' media playback devices (ie: devices that require an internet connection), you're much better off using a 'wired' ethernet cable connection anyway.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @SeeMoreDigital@schnapps and @ukbobboy ! This was very very helpful, I will try to connect the tv box via wifi and if that does not work well I will try with a longer cable. Also I take good note of not putting the routeur next to the TV (I had no idea at all, thanks! ) 🙂

Very nice of you to have been so helpful, I appreciate it a lot!

Cheers