cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Review of the Now TV Combo Fibre Broadband Router

Ive had the Now TV Combo fibre broadband router for a few days now, and for anyone looking for info on it, here's my details/review.

Take the old Sky Routers that they used to do, before they updated it to match other current provided routers by other fibre providers... slap huge green lettering to advertise your service on either side of the box so theres no hiding it and BAM.... theres the router!

It (kinda) does what it says on the tin, in the sense that it connects you to the internet.

But, if youre after a fairly decent wifi signal (and I dont just refer to it lacking 5 ghz wifi, but the 2.4 ghz is pretty poor too) this isnt for you.

Want it to be discreet and seamlessly blend in with the surroundings? Not a chance.

Need guest wifi...? Tough.

Want to get rid of the lights on the front? Heres some black electrical tape, you can always whack it over the top of them?!

On the plus side...

erm...

Skys found a market for all the routers they didnt use a couple of years ago... recycling and all that!

(I did contact Now TV live chat and ask whether our own roiters can be used. Thats a big fat no.

I also discussed the lack of 5 ghz wifi and other features, they "took the feedback on board" and explained that as a new service they might consider updating their boxes in the future, but for now, these would do?!)

20 REPLIES 20
BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User Thanks for the review.  I know TalkTalk gets a lot of stick, but it confirms why I'm sticking with them and only buying period passes from NOW TV.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Ree

You said, "I did contact Now TV live chat and ask whether our own router can be used? That's a big fat no."  

Could you please clarify this point, are you saying that the Now TV Combo Box cannot be used with your own current router or that the box cannot be used with any other manufacturer's router, other than the one supplied by Now TV?

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy It's part of the terms of the broadband service that you are only allowed to use the supplied router to connect othe broadband service, you can't use any other routers you have. Indeed you aren't supplied with authentication details to use with other routers. It's the same stance Sky Broadband have.

If you have a Smart NOW TV Box but don't take NOW TV bradband then it just connects to your current router as normal.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi UK Bob,

I asked them about the router specifically.
You can NOT use your own router, on the Now TV broadband service.

This review has no connection to the new Now TV smart box which CAN be used with ANY broadband network, service and router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the NR102 is just a SR102 with the NOW TV logo on it and the GUI. As far as I'm aware these are still being issued by Sky for new broadband customers unless they have Sky Q.

I'm also disappointed at the lack of 5Ghz, but there is nothing stopping you from using the NR102 as just a modem and then another wifi router via the ethernet port.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the Sky-supplied router is pretty useless, especially the WiFi performance. To keep within the terms of use you want to turn off the WiFi in the hub's settings and connect a 5ghz (possibly wireless AC) wireless access point to one of the ethernet ports. If you connect any computers to the hub with ethernet you'll be disappointed with file transfer speeds as they're not gigabit. You could connect a gigabit ethernet switch box and use that instead.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User As I use 5Ghz for all my Roku/NowTv boxes I'd also be disappointed.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Guys

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for replying to my post, some of the fog I had has been cleared up, but there are a few things which require clarification:

@Andy

You said: "It's part of the terms of the broadband service that you are only allowed to use the supplied router to connect other broadband service, you can't use any other routers you have."

Although you are, in the most part correct, i.e. your ISP does supply you with their preferred router, you are not banned from using a router of your own choice, it's just that your ISP will not support your choice of router if you run into any technical difficulties.

If you check any big electrical store you will see a range and variety of routers from different manufacturers with powerful specs that you can buy and use but you will not get a discount on your broadband subscription or technical support by discarding, or not using, your ISP's supplied router.

@Anonymous User

You said: "You can NOT use your own router, on the Now TV broadband service".

Please see my reply to @Andy, however I do believe that you were told that you cannot use any other manufacturers router on their broadband service.

You also said: "....the new Now TV smart box which CAN be used with ANY broadband network service and router."

Which is what I would expect.

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Guys

What you knowledgeable guys have commented on in your posts would definitely steer me away from purchasing any combination that included the Now TV badged SR102 router and/or the Sky/Now TV broadband service.

The combo package seems to give the consumer convinience, i.e. ease of installation, and should a problem occur only dealing with one help desk. 

However, apart from the new Now TV box, there is nothing new in terms of tech or better facilities on offer.

As I have said in a previous post, the combo package seems more beneficial for the supplier than it does for the customer.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy the T&Cs are you must use the provided hardware. Not only that but to connect to either ADSL or VDSL you need the radius username and password, these are not provided by Sky or NOW TV and are hidden within the box. Sky also use a slightly different method to connect to VDSL which isn't supported by most routers.

If you search for "replace SR102" there is advice on how you can find ways around this, but almost all of them suggested using £200 routers.