cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Broadband Hub Weak Signal

Hi

I switched my broadband from BT to NowTV on 5th December.  We are still in the 10 day settling in period so I expect to see speed fluctuations but the issue we have is with the signal from the hub.  The signal is very weak and starts to drop to 2 or 3 bars after moving just 3 metres away and does not get to the back rooms at all.  I have positioned the router in the same place as the BT hub, and pressed reset to get the best channel (though this should not be an issue as neither of our nextdoor neighbours has broadband).  We have no other lines we can try to use.  Is this issue common, and will it resolve itself after the 10 day period?  At the moment this is impacting many of our "connected" kit in the house.

From reading other threads my understanding is that NowTV broadband can only be supplied via the NowTV hub and that buying a new router will not work.  Is this correct?

I know an extender may help, but we don't really want to pay for one as we did not need one with BT, and I'm wondering if the kit is faulty.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

50 REPLIES 50
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Hi Roy

I too recently installed a TP Link Extender which, by the way, has three separate methods of being connected to a router.

The first and easiest method, of using WPS, didn't work for me, but the second method, using TP Link Tether app, worked like a charm.

However, the third method, which I am grateful I did not have to use, requires a laptop with an Internet port, a length of RJ45 cable with plugs at both ends and wi-fi connection to the internet.

And yes, I do believe you are correct that if the easier methods do not work then Tony will have to call in outside help.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

Cheers for that @ukbobboy 

Did it use the same SSID as the router, or a variant?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Hey Roy

Yeah, I used the same SSID, but I do know some other brands of extenders insist on using a variant name.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

Is anyone out there who has a solution to boost the hub's signal?  It's only a few meters away from the bedroom, but we have no sinal there at all. I reset it a few times already, made no different. Any help would be appriciated! Thanks in advance

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. 

Rebooting the Hub should force it to choose the best wireless channel for your environment (unless you've changed it manually from auto) but it may be you need to experiment with a few different wireless channels to see if this helps.

You might also experiment with placement of the hub, generally speaking you want it as central, as high up and as far away from electrical interference, metal obstructions and solid walls as possible.

However whilst the Hub doesn't have the best wireless performance, if your bedroom is just a few metres away from the Hub with one wall between then I'd expect you to still see the network even if you're on a poor choice of wireless channel. If you cannot see the network at all there may well be an issue with the Hub itself, so I'd suggest giving the Broadband Team a call tomorrow and let them take you through some troubleshooting steps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure how you all got on with this being that it's a few months on, but I recently switched from Sky to NOW broadband and I was lucky enough that Sky left me with a Sky Booster.

If you can get hold of one of these it makes a huge difference to the coverage.

It doesn't "officially" work with the NOW router, but just resetting the Booster and then pressing the WPS button on the NOW router followed by the WPS button on the booster should allow them to connect.

I have an extension and no signal gets through the old external walls, adding this has given me full signal throughout the house.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried changing the channel but the signal is still only 2 bars between rooms on the same floor with thin walls, it really should be this bad.  It's a new router, suggestions?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Ive just started my contract with nowtv, very weak signal in the next room and no WiFi in the upstairs bedroom whatsoever, quite disappointed. Any help on improving this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi

Ive just started my contract with nowtv, very weak signal in the next room and no WiFi in the upstairs bedroom whatsoever, quite disappointed. Any help on improving this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

@Anonymous User

Here's a copy and paste i made from the other day 

You will never get the max speed over Wi-Fi unfortunately. You can try changing channels on the router though by getting into the settings of the hub. Your username and passowrd will be on the back/bottom of your hub. Just go to 192.168.0.1 and log in. To change the channels, click on 'Wireless' and you'll be given a list of options. To check for the best channel in your neighbourhood download this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

or if your on a phone here are variants:

ANDROID: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB

IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fing-network-scanner/id430921107?mt=8