cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box isn’t finding any free-to-air channels

I set up my box and hub yesterday, bought the combo package. It said that you could watch freeview channels on this one but when I scan for the channels it’s saying none can be found. Does anyone know how to resolve this? I have a coaxial aerial going into smart box.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am assuming when you connect your TV aerial directly into your inbuilt TV tuner the Freeview channels are showing fine ?

Are you splitting the incoming TV signal from the aerial to any other devices or does it connect directly into the back of the NowTV smart box ?

Double check on this website linked below that there are no issues with the TV transmitter in your regional area.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works 

You could try a forced software update in the box secret menu by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed quickly by pressing the FF >> button 3 times, then quickly press the RW << button 2 times on the remote controller and force a software update and then try re scanning the TV channels.

Last resort try a factory reset in the box menu settings and re set up your box again from scratch.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help.

I haven’t actually tried to plug the aerial info the inbuilt tv one. The link you gave says I should have good terrestrial tv in my area, so not sure why it can’t find any. I will try the software update, I’m a brand new customer to them and it’s not a great start
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you temporary hook up the TV aerial to your inbuilt TV tuner and the Freeview channels are working, then this will prove that there is no issues with your TV aerial Installation wiring or there are any current TV signal reception issues from your local transmitter (i.e. you are eliminating the aerial or incoming TV signal reception out of the fault finding equation where you can then concentrate on the smart box).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I have tried the aerieal in the tv and I get freeview channels, plugged back into now tv box and it’s still not working, would you suggest I try the software update?
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User can I just check you didn't previously have Sky or Virgin? Some folk have tried to use the leads for those, however they are not the same as a freeview connection.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve just tried to get freeview channels by plugging into tv and it’s now not working. I’ve got a sky and virgin, I’ve recently moved into the property, is there anyway or having one that’s the same for both?
Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sky and Virgin uses a different delivery mechanism for sending TV signals to your Television Set.

To take advantage of the NowTV Smart box Freeview TV channels you will need a Digital TV aerial (ideally a fixed roof aerial or you could take a gamble on an indoor portable aerial).

If you haven't got a Digital TV aerial, then if there is an existing Satellite Dish installed at your property and you have got a Satellite box you could still use the Free to air channels over Satellite on the Sky Satellite box.

Also it might be worth checking the amount of Freeview channels that you could possibly receive if you have a roof aerial via this website below.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address#gIuUXgYQWfrryWrw.97

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, would you say it’s a risk getting an portable one? I didn’t realise I wouldn’t be able to watch free view as well otherwise I probably wouldn’t have gone for Now tv. Where would I then plug the digital tv aerial in, straight into the tv aerial port?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

From my experience i find indoor portable aerials to be hit or miss and will be dependent on a number of factors including how far you are away from the TV Transmitter stations in your area.

The aerial connects into the rear of the NowTV smart box (see photo below).

now_tv_new_box_2.jpg