cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Loss of routing

Hi,

I've just migrated to Now Super Fibre from BT last week. I've got a strong 68Mbs connection and it hasn't dropped since I migrated. I regularly see download speeds of 6MB/s so I'm definitely able to make use of the connection speed. I have no voice phones at all on the line and the NowTV box is connected directly to the master socket (which would explain the good connection and throughput performance). I've got WiFi disabled and I've got an Airport Extreme plugged in to the router. This was the same setup as with my BT homehub.

A few times a day, I get a loss of network routing, my devices make a web request but the request times out. It's not the sites I'm connected to, as, there's no pattern. It could be a google search one time, or the BBC another.

I'm still connected to the airport with full signal, I can reach the NowTV management interface. I just can't get out to the internet. NowTV box is still connected to the DSL as demonstrated by the uptime of the connection. Within a few minutes it corrects itself without action on my part.

It's almost like there's a problem upstream from me, or, a problem with the router itself.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behaviour?

Thanks

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,

I've just migrated to Now Super Fibre from BT last week. I've got a strong 68Mbs connection and it hasn't dropped since I migrated. I regularly see download speeds of 6MB/s so I'm definitely able to make use of the connection speed. I have no voice phones at all on the line and the NowTV box is connected directly to the master socket (which would explain the good connection and throughput performance). I've got WiFi disabled and I've got an Airport Extreme plugged in to the router. This was the same setup as with my BT homehub.

A few times a day, I get a loss of network routing, my devices make a web request but the request times out. It's not the sites I'm connected to, as, there's no pattern. It could be a google search one time, or the BBC another.

I'm still connected to the airport with full signal, I can reach the NowTV management interface. I just can't get out to the internet. NowTV box is still connected to the DSL as demonstrated by the uptime of the connection. Within a few minutes it corrects itself without action on my part.

It's almost like there's a problem upstream from me, or, a problem with the router itself.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behaviour?

Thanks

Andrew

@Anonymous User

Hi Andrew

This wouldn't be a common issue we have been made aware of, have you tested your setup without the Airport Extreme connected?

It may have previously worked fine with BT as it was on a different network.

Thanks

Aaron

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Whilst it's theoretically possible the Airport is involved it seems unlikely; it's in bridge mode so isn't doing anything with the packets other than switching them. I can always reach the NowTV admin page which would confirm that the connectivity between the airport and the NowTV is working OK.

I have seen the problem manifesting itself as 'buffering' in netflix which is on a Roku stick. The Roku is hard-wired to the NowTV.

Is there a way to enable further diagnostics on the router; packet captures or similar?

Andrew

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Further to this; it seems like it's something at Sky between my broadband connect and the wider-internet.

I've just had it for the last 10 minutes or so, I couldn't get any web-browsing at all. I could traceroute no problem. I switched my VPN on from my mac and without any other changes I could browse the internet no problem. Disconnected my VPN, no web browsing.

Is there some kind of passive proxy installed inline between me and the wider world?

Thanks

Andrew