cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG smart TV brought from Australia to UK

Hi,
I have recently moved in to UK from Australia bringing with me my smart LG TV. I went to Currys PC today to ask about how to run UK tele on my Australian LG without broadband, and they assured me that I can do it with the Now TV setting box. However, I have failed to find channels and then during the online chat with NowTV was informed that this box works only with UK units. I would like to confirm whether it’s true or not? Does anyone here experience similar thing and if yes how solved that issue. Many thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User if the model is available in the UK try a full reset. You will need broadband to get the entertainment channels.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You mention in your post running a LG smart TV without broadband ?

All smart TV's or smart boxes need an internet connection for them to work for the smart features.

If you are referring to the over the air Freeview channels then you will need some sort of Freeview box with a TV aerial.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

What is the model number of your LG smart TV ?

I just had a look at a couple of LG models on their Australian website and it looks like they use a DVB-T2 tunner for the over the air TV transmissions.

You may have to go into the LG settings to change the country of origin from Australia to UK.

Might be worth contacting LG UK support for further assistance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been told that with NOW TV Smart Box I can plug in to aerial cable to get an access to national free channels

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I might be wrong, but i believe you need an initial internet connection just to setup the nowtv smart box, then the box will work on the Freeview TV over the air channels only via an aerial.

If you have no internet, then you might be better off getting a cheap HD Freeview box that doesn't need an internet connection to initially setup the box. 

Firstly, I would have a word with LG UK support to see if it's possible to use the DVB T2 inbuilt tunner in your LG TV by either factory re setting the TV or changing the country of origin in the TV menu settings from Australia to the UK. 

Also, use this Freeview coverage checker tool below to make sure you can get Freeview at your UK address.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address#6op33zH6c543kRYx.97

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I will try to do so. Been in touch with LG before and was told that we cant change the country on our TV to UK 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Hopefully LG customer support will help.

Bit of a long shot have you gone into the LG TV option menu and factory re set the TV, then connect a TV aerial directly to the back of the LG TV and try a automatic re tune of TV channels (worth a try).

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User TV manufacturers usually sell their TVs in worldwide regions, I would expect an Australian TV to only give you the choice of other Asian/Asian Pacific countries, and as UK and Australia are on different standards leaving it set to Australia won't work if you connect an aerial directly to the TV.

However both the NOW TV Smart Box or a dedicated Freeview set-top receiver will work. If you are only without broadband in the short term then the NOW TV Smart Box may suit (as mentioned you'd need to take it to a friend or family with broadband to set the box up initially) but if you don't intend to have broadband then you'll find it a lot easier to exchange it for a dedicated set-top Freeview receiver, otherwise you'll be needing broadband every time the NOW TV box needs resetting or updating.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Just to let you know that your suggestions helped! We connected to the internet to set a box, and after we can use a free to air channels without a broadband. But wait 🙂 Now, the other issue we are experiencing is lack of BBC channels; channels are there but show lack of signal or are very poor quality. Any thought on it, if I may ask? Other channels, like E4, work fine.