cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor

LG smart TV brought from Australia to UK

Hi,
I have recently moved in to UK from Australia bringing with me my smart LG TV. I went to Currys PC today to ask about how to run UK tele on my Australian LG without broadband, and they assured me that I can do it with the Now TV setting box. However, I have failed to find channels and then during the online chat with NowTV was informed that this box works only with UK units. I would like to confirm whether it’s true or not? Does anyone here experience similar thing and if yes how solved that issue. Many thanks.

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
14 Replies
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: LG smart TV brought from Australia to UK

@Maria1959 if the model is available in the UK try a full reset. You will need broadband to get the entertainment channels.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Maria1959

You mention in your post running a LG smart TV without broadband ?

All smart TV's or smart boxes need an internet connection for them to work for the smart features.

If you are referring to the over the air Freeview channels then you will need some sort of Freeview box with a TV aerial.

Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Maria1959

What is the model number of your LG smart TV ?

I just had a look at a couple of LG models on their Australian website and it looks like they use a DVB-T2 tunner for the over the air TV transmissions.

You may have to go into the LG settings to change the country of origin from Australia to UK.

Might be worth contacting LG UK support for further assistance.

Highlighted
Mentor

I have been told that with NOW TV Smart Box I can plug in to aerial cable to get an access to national free channels

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Dear Schnapps,

Thank you for your answer. I have been told that with NOW TV Smart Box I can plug in to aerial cable to get an access to national free channels what I did. But later was told that it can work only with TV purchased in UK. Bit confusing and not sure whether its a true for other smart boxes too.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Maria1959

I might be wrong, but i believe you need an initial internet connection just to setup the nowtv smart box, then the box will work on the Freeview TV over the air channels only via an aerial.

If you have no internet, then you might be better off getting a cheap HD Freeview box that doesn't need an internet connection to initially setup the box. 

Firstly, I would have a word with LG UK support to see if it's possible to use the DVB T2 inbuilt tunner in your LG TV by either factory re setting the TV or changing the country of origin in the TV menu settings from Australia to the UK. 

Also, use this Freeview coverage checker tool below to make sure you can get Freeview at your UK address.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address#6op33zH6c543kRYx.97

Highlighted
Expert 2

@Maria1959wrote:

Dear Schnapps,

Thank you for your answer. I have been told that with NOW TV Smart Box I can plug in to aerial cable to get an access to national free channels what I did. But later was told that it can work only with TV purchased in UK. Bit confusing and not sure whether its a true for other smart boxes too.

Just a point there are no free channels in the uk, you need to buy a tv licence.  That’s the joke that is freeview nothing is free.😀

Highlighted
Mentor

Hi, I will try to do so. Been in touch with LG before and was told that we cant change the country on our TV to UK 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

I know that 🙂

0 Thanks