Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

4k HDR streaming

Hi All,

HD,4k HDR

Asking this because of an article on (advanced-television.com).

Today (11/10/17) Roku have launched a new streaming stick.

It's called ( The Roku Express) Roku Streaming Stick+ ).

It's the first streaming stick that is capable of

streaming ( HD, 4k and 4k HDR up to 60 fps ).

It has an innovative advanced wireless receiver that

gives up to four times the wireless range.

Any chance Now TV could put this Tec into

a new  (4K HDR Now TV Box).

Thanks BF.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just put Roku Express add up.

The new 4k HDR stick has the (Now TV App)

enabled.

Need help, would I be able to stream in 4k H265 HEVC, or

will I still stream in H264 HD.

Thanks BF.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

As the NOW TV service is currently only 720p and the boxes don't have Netflix or Amazon apps on them I'd be surprised if NOW TV are planning on launching a variant of one of the 4K UHD capable Rokus anytime soon - there would be nothing to play on them to utilise the ability.

However NOW TV have just announced there's a new hardware trial coming up. No idea what the new hardware will be but if you're interested why not register your details and get involved, then you'll see firsthand what new developments are coming up.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/Beta-trial-alerts/m-p/444951#M10211

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Need help, would I be able to stream in 4k H265 HEVC, or

will I still stream in H264 HD.

Thanks BF.

@Anonymous User The NOW TV service currently offers a maximum 720p stereo service, so even tho the box is capable of 4K HDR it wouldn't make a difference as far as NOW TV is concerned. Only a small number of services such as Netflix and Amazon Video currently make use of it.

PS If you are thinking of importing, check over on the Roku forums to make sure NOW TV will work on it, as I don't know for sure if it would.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry ignore the importing comment, you're referring to the UK releases. NOW TV Will work on those (but still only 720p stereo for now).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy..Legend 2,

Thanks for reply Leg,

Tryed Netflix 4k films, must say not much difference between

1080p and 4k.

The jump to HRD is said to a bigger improvement than 1080p to 4k.

The reason I droped Netflix was (Unable to zoom to full screen) were

as the Now TV box will zoom to full screen.

Andy, can I ask about HDR. Any sign of adding HDR to the Now TV box.

With the big improvements lately in HRD, like (Dolby Vision) now in a

Firmware upgrade form (No need for V chip at factory stage).

Think that why Netflixs are steaming with Dolby Vision Pass-Through.

Plus with the new Dynamic metadata Doilby Vision can be used for live broadcast TV,

the same way as the BBCs (HLG HDR).

Or you could add (HEVC H265) to the streaming signal

I read that HDR could the decoded by an HD 1080p LCD TV.?.

Thanks BF.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Not heard anything at all about NOW TV and HDR I'm afraid. For a start the boxes would need an update as none of the current lineup support it, but rather than it being a technical issue, I think the main sticking point is the fact that Netflix and Amazon Video have no 'big brother' version of themselves that they need to avoid compromising.

In contrast NOW TV are owned by Sky and so need to keep NOW TV at a level where they are attract customers who don't want to sign up to a full Sky TV sub whilst at the same time minimising the number of customers quitting Sky TV to move to NOW TV.

At the end of the day I think Sky will want to encourage people interested in 4K and HDR to be tied into higher subscriptions and long term contracts by taking out a Sky TV subscription to get access to such premium features rather than bringing such features to a no-contract £7.99pm service like the NOW TV Entertainment Pass anytime soon.

Sky TV are launching subscriptions over IP next year so it will be interesting to see what features they offer there.