cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Terrible upload speed

After switching from Virgin i've been quite appy with the general download speed of Nowtv Fab fibre. My wife on the other hand has complained of very slow uploads to photobox when creating photo books around christmas time.

I decided to do a little investigating and even phone tech support a couple of times to help.

So bearing in mind we're paying for Fa b Fibre!!! on average my download is around 6-7mb and upload tops out around 0.25mb

this is obviously absolutely terrible. 

the "speed test" on this very website gives a speed into the house(which i'm very dubious about of) 15mb and an upload of 0mb(must be off the scale...!)

i've never since 15mb even when connected directly to the router...

tech support says they can't help with the upload speed...

I'm at a loss to see exactly what my next step is. We have the basic Nowtv Hub

any help would be greatfully received. 

Oh and we're about 50mtrs from the cab!!!!

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

After switching from Virgin i've been quite appy with the general download speed of Nowtv Fab fibre. My wife on the other hand has complained of very slow uploads to photobox when creating photo books around christmas time.

I decided to do a little investigating and even phone tech support a couple of times to help.

So bearing in mind we're paying for Fa b Fibre!!! on average my download is around 6-7mb and upload tops out around 0.25mb

this is obviously absolutely terrible. 

the "speed test" on this very website gives a speed into the house(which i'm very dubious about of) 15mb and an upload of 0mb(must be off the scale...!)

i've never since 15mb even when connected directly to the router...

tech support says they can't help with the upload speed...

I'm at a loss to see exactly what my next step is. We have the basic Nowtv Hub

any help would be greatfully received. 

Oh and we're about 50mtrs from the cab!!!!

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch with us ! 

With upload speeds this does depend on the download speed you are getting, so the higher the download the higher the upload speed. 

The way your download speed works is that it is divided between all the devices you have connected to your wifi in your home. Even if you are not using your phone for example it is still connected to your wifi and you will still recieve emails and notifications etc so is still using the broadband. 

With speed issues the first thing that we would have to determin if it is a wireless problem or a line issue and to do this we would usually get you to disconnect all devices from wifi and connect 1 device directly to your router to see what speed you are getting, then we would get you to connect 1 device to the wifi and see if the speed is the same. 

If you have a chance we would advise to try the above and get back to us so we can get a better understanding of what is happening. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for Replying Kimberley.

so from the test on this site please see attched pics.

to summarise

Your download speed
looks good

15Mbps

Upload Speed0Mbps

Surely this is a test to the Hub itself...?
that being the case 0mb is truly terrible!
with ref to your answer" With upload speeds this does depend on the download speed you are getting, so the higher the download the higher the upload speed."
what speed should i be expecting with 15mb download speed?
surely not 0mb, and if it is what speed of fibre would be needed to at reach 5mb upload speed?!

Does NOWtv use the Openreach (BT) fibre network?
What is the upload speed of the network regulated/capped to? and if so what to?
are the NowTV hubs restricted to certain speeds?
I'm aware downloads are given priority but surely this information should be transparent somewhere?

chris

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for Replying Kimberley.

so from the test on this site please see attched pics.

to summarise

Your download speed
looks good

15Mbps

Upload Speed0Mbps

Surely this is a test to the Hub itself...?
that being the case 0mb is truly terrible!
with ref to your answer" With upload speeds this does depend on the download speed you are getting, so the higher the download the higher the upload speed."
what speed should i be expecting with 15mb download speed?
surely not 0mb, and if it is what speed of fibre would be needed to at reach 5mb upload speed?!

Does NOWtv use the Openreach (BT) fibre network?
What is the upload speed of the network regulated/capped to? and if so what to?
are the NowTV hubs restricted to certain speeds?
I'm aware downloads are given priority but surely this information should be transparent somewhere?

chris

Hi @Anonymous User 

0MB? That's crazy. Even basic copper broadband has more than that. That means there is certainly a problem somewhere and it could lie with the router. You have tried a hard wired connection yes? We do use the Openreach Network yes, that's correct. The hubs aren't restrcited to certain speeds at all so that it should be a software/functioning hardware issue. I'm gonna do a bit of digging and find out why your speed is so low. Can you tell me your ping @Anonymous User?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

please see attached pic. think all the info is there.

Chris

Anonymous User
Not applicable

and with cable connected directly to hub....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris @Anonymous User 

did you ever find a solution. I have 0.15 upload speed on fab fibre, it is driving me insane. 
thanks in advance,

elena

Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPLOAD SPEED - In practice I am getting 1.2Kbs reported on ftp - YES THAT IS A K. The online tester reports into the Mbps which is where it should be. I need to upload teaching vides because of the Corona Virus and it take nearly an hour to upload a 500Mb file. Do the maths - that is less that 1Kbps in reality. Really not helpful in the current climate!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

After an engineer visit, it turned out to be a wiring fault back at the distribution box down the street. All good now!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 

I have done everything you have suggested and my upload speeds are terrible. I still have 17mbps download and only 0.8mbps on upload. Please can you advise on a solution for this?

Thank you