cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

new device email

Ive received an email from now TV saying they will replace my white box with a black stick for free.

Is this a real email?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User 

I can confirm these emails are from us, for thoses that are using a white box as their primary device - we're offering a NOW TV Stick.

Simon

Community Manager 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Yep it's a genuine email.

Here's a tweet reply from NowTV about the email to a customer who enquired about it.

youdoodle-2020-09-02T19-27-56Z.jpg

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User 

I can confirm these emails are from us, for thoses that are using a white box as their primary device - we're offering a NOW TV Stick.

Simon

Community Manager 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My email just says the white box is being discontinued, there's no offer of a free USB stick.

If all white boxes aren't being replaced for free I'm cancelling my account.

Some clarity would be appreciated please.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey T

First, let me point out that I am nothing to do with Now TV, other than being a customer.

Second, I understand that Now TV are offering some customers free Now TV sticks as a courtesy, not as a right for every soul with a white box, which is way past it's sell by date anyway.

If you get a free Now TV stick count yourself lucky, if not then jog on.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know that the devices are not new but I would argue with the comment about well past their date.

It is fine not to update them but stopping them from working is not. It creates unnecessary electronic rubbish.

This and the buggy rubbish software update are making Netflix attractive.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Y

Yes, I can see why have taken issue with my "well past it's sell by date" comment but it's true nonetheless. And you must know that nothing is made to last forever, because from the moment you believe that it should you are living in "never-never land".

But companies cannot deliberately release updates to cripple their products because, with all the tech savvy people around nowadays, they would be found out and in serious trouble with the regulators.

On a more practical note, when an item is manufactured, like the white box, it is functional for the time it's made and for the items it must work with, i.e. software and other hardware.  However, as time goes on, software applications (apps) get bigger, demand more memory, more cpu power and in some cases provide facilities it was never designed to preform.  While initially compatible hardware are either no longer made or changed/updated in such a way that they are no longer compatible.

Therefore, that item will sooner or later fall into disuse, and that is called progress.

Plus, our economy depends on people constantly buying new stuff anyway.

UK Bob

Sorry Y, it's just the way things are.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. As a software engineer I am well aware of the nuances with hardware and software.

We are compelled to either release backwards compatible sw for at least a decade or not push updates to be that has been announced as deprecated for at least a year. Then we do not push updates but we do not stop devices intentionally from working.

Different industries will have different requirements though.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I found an answer from user @schnapps  that worked for me.  Have a chat with them:

"Pop over to NowTV live chat (use the link below) where they are offering a free NowTV Stick to customers who have the old White Box and where the White Box is used has your main NowTV streaming device.

If you are using the White Box has a secondary NowTV streaming device they may offer you a NowTV Stick at a discounted price.

Should live chat not open for you (try a different internet browser) then on the same link below there is a web form you can send them instead of getting in touch with live chat.

The NowTV Stick should work with your existing TV if the television has a HDMI port on it and you have a decent WiFi reception where the television is located in your home.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

View solution in original post"

Good luck!  😁

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Bob,

I'm 'just a customer' too and if Now TV wish to retain me as one, they will need to provide the means to do that.

I fully understand the end of life support cycle but the vendor has to provide an alternative.  It's like Microsoft bringing out a new version of Windows but only allowing people with a brand new laptop to use it. 

You don't leave your customers high and dry otherwise they rapidly become ex-customers.  Basic commerce really.

And if Now TV plan to just cut me off then they can, as you so elegantly put it, jog on.