cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

massive data usage for 2 films

Hi there,

Just recently bought a NOW tv box with free month cinema pass. I watched 2 films at the weekend and it used a massive 13 GB of my data allowance (which is not unlimited) and i only found out because BT contacted me to say i was nearing my monthly allowance.

Is it just movies that use up a lot of data? Or will watching iplayer, all4 etc use up a lot of data also.? 

Thank you in advance.

35 REPLIES 35
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Secret-screens/m-p/415253/highlight/true#M2326

might help

I believe you can set the stream speed lower.  Never tried it myself, but may work for you.

Nope... That option wont work with the NOW TV service.

Only using a device with a smaller low resolution built-in screen will reduce the data-rate 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi -have recently subscribed to Sports - viewing via app on LG smart tv -

what usage would be considered "normal" for streaming the sports channels by this medium.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

(for info - I viewed the T20 last evening from 7pm - 9pm, and a bit of SSNews on and off in the day, and my usage was appx 5GB, which seems a lot)

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. Assuming your broadband connection is good enough roughly 1.7 GB per hour although it's not an exact science. A couple of hours T20 and another hour on and off during the day and you're probably not far off your 5GB.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks, Andy, appreciate your reply - just need to decide whether to upgrade my broadband to Unlimited now  . . .

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy

Hi DB

First, let me say that I totally agree with Andy's advice to you, average watching on Now TV  is about 5GB, no doubt about that.

Now, I've been binge watching "The Strain" starting yesterday and continuing today, before dawn actually, and my ISP reports that I have used nearly 27GB yesterday and so far today nearly 11GB.

Therefore, my personal belief is that a limited data plan nowadays with an ISP is not compatible with streaming Internet TV.  I would go further and say that limited data plans were designed for "light" Internet users, i.e. a few emails, very little online activity and if any not much downloading.

However, as more activities open up online, Internet usage and connectivity has become almost an essential, much like having a telephone or using electricity and, as such, you would not want limited access to those facilities.

That said, when you consider changing your current Internet plan factor in if you are going to use or explore more online facilities, such as, Box sets on Now TV, Netflix, YouTube, etc., or less then decide accordingly.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for that, UK Bob;   my current deal is for 45GB/month - as you say, this has been plenty up now for my email / browsing/ occasional music download usage , but with August having 2 cricket Test matches and plenty of football scheduled, I'd soon reach the limit, even if I'm quite selective with the games I watch  . . . .  

Regards, DB