Mentor 4

Re: massive data usage for 2 films

@KM3

Hi again KM

You know, I ditched BT sometime ago because their definition of "unlimited" is different to everyone else's, including the dictionary.

So I will never (ever) be a BT customer again.

UK Bob

KM3
Occasional Poster

the only real reason i stay with them is because i use their BT wifi  in my workshop as i dont have hardwired wifi there.

Helper 3

SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Interestingly, it's possible to see the NOW TV bit-rate on certain playback devices. I've just played a few minutes of 'Today's New Premier' on my LG television and the displayed bit-rate is: 3185Kbps.

Todays new premier (movie) has a duration of 136 minutes or 8160 seconds.

3185Kilobits per second x 8160 seconds = 25'989,600Kilobits

25'989'600Kilobits = 3248.7MegaBytes | 3248.7MegaBytes = 3.2487GigaBytes

Or looking at it another way. Every hour (60 mins) consumes around 1.7GB of data Smiley Wink

@SeeMoreDigital  Glad someone did the maths!  My guess of 1.5GB/hour was just finger in the air stuff.

Helper 3

KM3 wrote:

Thanks Bob, yeah i've obviously got a rubbish BT deal, though i doubt they will let me go unlimited without charging me more money, which is already too much for what I've got. 

@KM3  If you aren't in some onerous contract, then it would be worth giving them a call and telling them you want to give notice because Sky/Virgin/Vodafone/Talk Talk etc.  have offered you unlimited for £xx.  They will probably make you an offer you can't refuse.  Well Virgin always do it with me.  http://www.broadbanddeals.co.uk/ for best deals (Origin £18/month unlimited in my case)

Occasional Poster

I'm also new to Now TV and will be going back to Netflix who give the option to view at lower quality to preserve data usage. Now TV should seriously consider and implement this option as soon as possible. There are thousands of internet users who do not have the luxury of unlimited data. I'm extremely disappointed that this problem wasn't acknowledged and catered for 😠 Now TV have confirmed to me all movies are steamed in HD. Four gig of data to watch one film!! Unacceptable.
Occasional Poster

stream quality

When will NowTV acknowledge and provide lower quality stream options for those of us with limited data contracts? Netflix do so it's possible. I can't afford to stay with NowTV based on the humongous 4GB data usage for one film. 😠
Champion 2

For info I found out from Sky previously that I used over 100gb of data a month. Main reason was streaming Now and others.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor not staff so cannot help you with account matters I can just attempt to point you in the right direction.

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

Devices I am currently using for Now: Android app on Moto G5 Plus, Chromecast, LG TV, Smart box.
Mentor 4

@isoult @4268 @SeeMoreDigital

You know IS

Whenever this topic pops up in the forum those who take part in the debate have always pointed out that having a limited monthly data plan is not compatible with watching online (streaming) TV.  No one, as far as I can remember, has ever argued for a low or lower quality streaming option.

In fact, a knowledgeable forum member, @SeeMoreDigital, has also worked out that his usage of streaming TV, including Now TV, works out at 1.7GB per hour, which IMHO is pretty much an average figure.

Also, from a personal perspective, my family's data usage, on a nothing special Internet line, has grown to nearly 300GB per month, almost up to  10GB per day, as we now seem to watch mainly online TV (terrestrial TV just seems so boring).

As you can probably guess, most Now TV users have an unlimited data usage account with their ISP's and, simply put, limited monthly data usage is really a bygone plan for a bygone age.

UK Bob

Highlighted
Occasional Poster

Like I said, there are thousands of people that don't have the luxury of
unlimited. I, for example, rely solely on mobile data because I live in a
boat. Netflix offer three levels of quality for their service and the low
quality was perfect and didn't use much data. Just because you can stream
HD with no consequences, not everyone can or needs to.
Champion 4

Hi @isoult,

Please confirm the device you're using to access the NOW TV service?

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •