cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

iplayer restarting

My NowTV is up for renewal in the new year and I'm seriously thinking of knocking it on the head.

If I want to watch iplayer on the hub I have to be prepared for it to stop several times before it works.

It stops in the early stages of a programme only for some annoying NowTV ad to interupt - not a trailer but some stupid chattering teeth and a bouncing football.

We might have to endure that twice before the programme will restart 2 to 3 times before it gets going.

It doesn't do it on All4 or 5 Player for some reason.

If I hadn't paid up front I'd have left before now.

Now the white box even watching NowTV programmes is not responding to the remote.

Might try one of the others once my contract ends.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Tom

You've got an interesting but obviously annoying problem, when you see the bouncing ball and chattering teeth which indicates that you Now TV box has crashed and is rebooting, something it should not do if it is functioning properly.

If it crashes several times in succession then something is wrong, if this only happens with the BBC iPlayer then may I suggest that you delete this icon and reinstall a new one from the app store, this may cure your problem.

Also, you mentioned that you still have the original old white box, please note that this box is now nearly two generations out of date (I think they stopped making them @ 2014) so it's well past it's "sell by date" and should really be retired.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Tom

You've got an interesting but obviously annoying problem, when you see the bouncing ball and chattering teeth which indicates that you Now TV box has crashed and is rebooting, something it should not do if it is functioning properly.

If it crashes several times in succession then something is wrong, if this only happens with the BBC iPlayer then may I suggest that you delete this icon and reinstall a new one from the app store, this may cure your problem.

Also, you mentioned that you still have the original old white box, please note that this box is now nearly two generations out of date (I think they stopped making them @ 2014) so it's well past it's "sell by date" and should really be retired.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice.

Didn't realize the chattery teeth were about the box rebooting.

I've re-installed the iplayer a couple of times.

It might be the age of the box like you say - I thought updates would have kept it current.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi again Tom

Unfortunately, the white box no longer has the CPU power or memory to work with modern apps and channels, which are updated almost on a monthly basis.

And this is why computerised items constantly keep going out of date, whenever software/application makers update their products these updates always demand more memory and CPU power, that's why we as consumers will always have to update our hardware to keep the services we need, such as BBC iPlayer, and also keep pace with other advances.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thankyou Bob for replying to this...it drives you nuts when you just want to sit down and watch something and iplayer takes three repeats of the start of a programme to get it going when all the other on demand services work ok. Not being very techy I didn't know what was going on or how to resolve it so your reply was a great help and much appreciated. thankyou xxx

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for posting this as I have exactly the same problem with a white NOWTV box bought in July 2015. Like you I assumed it would get software updates automatically once connected. I thought it had some problem with buffering delays. I knew it couldn't be the PlusNet router because iplayer plays fine on the laptop. Now considering whether its time for a new NOWTV box or a version on USB stick ?   or even AMAZON prime ? regards,