cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

cant get sound through home theatre or surround sound when watching films on now tv

cant get sound from now tv box when watching films. sound only from tv but not through home theatre. Home theatre only plays the channel thats on DTV sound only

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My TV is a Toshiba Regza LCD 32" C3030D and my home cinema is a Samsung 2:1 CH Blu-ray (HT-H4200R).

The TV doesnt have an audio return channel, its set as auto via HDMI 1.

Thanks for this; i tried using the 3.5mm jack from the box to the TV and to the amp; still not working. I also tried using an HDMI switching box, still no joy, but that would only select which HDMI was being used at that time. I then resorted to plugging in the Now TV box back into HDMI 1 and the home cinema into HDMI 2, and turning the home cinema off.

Thanks. Mark.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Found a 3.5mm to RCA, plugged it in; still the same. still getting film sound through TV but digital TV channel coming through the home cinema alongside. Did i read somewhere that the 3.5mm jack to RCA HAS to be a Sky one? Something about the way the plug is wired?

I'll leave you with that for now.

regards, Mark.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

My TV is a Toshiba Regza LCD 32" C3030D and my home cinema is a Samsung 2:1 CH Blu-ray (HT-H4200R).

The TV doesnt have an audio return channel, its set as auto via HDMI 1.

Thanks for this; i tried using the 3.5mm jack from the box to the TV and to the amp; still not working. I also tried using an HDMI switching box, still no joy, but that would only select which HDMI was being used at that time. I then resorted to plugging in the Now TV box back into HDMI 1 and the home cinema into HDMI 2, and turning the home cinema off.

Thanks. Mark.

@Anonymous User

OK, i have manged to find some info about your Toshiba TV and Samsung Home Cinema system.

Don't know why, but the suggestion posted by myself and the our forum members here should have worked ?

Looking at the audio connection on the TV and the back of the Samsung HC system you have two options.

1. Run an optical cable from the digital out on the TV to the digital optical input on the back of  Samsung HC.

Press the "Function" key on the Samsung remote (top right hand side of RC) until the Digital input is selected denoted by D on player display.

OR

2. Run any type of 3.5mm to RCA cable from the NowTV box to the AUX input on the back of Samsung HC.

Press the "Function" button on Samsung remote until AUX audio input is selected.

In the Toshiba TV menu you may have to select external source sound or something worded similar or turn volume down on TV remote to prevent sound coming from the TV speakers.

Has a last resort try playing around with the Samsung Anynet+ (HDMI CEC) setting in the menu, together with try pressing the "TV Sound" button located on the bottom left on the Samsung remote controller.

Don't think your Toshiba TV has HDMI CEC function, but check in TV menu and if so try enable / disable with the Samsung Anynet+ feature.

Sorry can't think of anything else to suggest.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Note that now TV do not support 5.1 surroundsound on any content. All of now TVs assets are two channel stereo, but that being said, the assets are Dolby pro Logic enabled, which means surroundsound can be simulated if you have the required equipment.

The only experience I have connecting the now TV box to a speaker system relates to using the box with an AV receiver. But you're using a home theatre device. These tend to be a bit more limited than full AV receivers.

Normally the simplest way to connect a now TV box to an external speaker system would be by connecting the box to an AV receiver using  HDMI and then connect the AV receiver to your TV using the HDMI out on the AV receiver.

The only other thing of note is that the old white now TV box is limited to 5.1 audio most kit including some home theatre systems can now support 7.1. This can confuse the white box. Which means you need to make sure that your equipment is set up correctly so that it works with the now TV white box. The simplest way to do this would normally be to make sure your audio equipment is set to Dolby pro Logic mode, as this provides simulated surround sound and is limited to 5.1. But as you're using a home theatre device and not a full AV receiver I'm not sure if you can do that. 

Your best bet would be to try @schnapps suggestions above. But Roku or Roku-based devices (the now TV box is a Roku-based device) are designed for audio to be handled by HDMI. So you may not achieve the desired result.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just find this am having the some issue. Can anyone be of help?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Which version of the NowTV box is causing the no sound issue, the white box, std black box or the smart box with the blue nowtv logo on the top casing ?

How is your box connected to your home theatre surround setup ?

What is the make & model of your TV and Home Theatre surround setup ?

The more information you can provide the better chance of finding a solution.