cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

cant get sound through home theatre or surround sound when watching films on now tv

cant get sound from now tv box when watching films. sound only from tv but not through home theatre. Home theatre only plays the channel thats on DTV sound only

15 REPLIES 15
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Was it working properly and now it's not, or are you setting it up for the first time and can't get it to work? Also are you connecting the box direct to the amp, or going via your TV?

Worth noting that NOW TV content is in stereo only, 5.1 isn't supported, although if you have a suitable setup you can run the stereo through Dolby ProLogic processing modes to get pseudosurround sound.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Box is working fine, its connected by hdmi to the TV, as is the surround sound. which is also connected to the TV by hdmi.

When i had a film on via the now tv box it played and the sound came from the TV; the surround sound had what was on the TV channel, (had i been watching that channel and not the now tv box). so the box isnt cutting the sound from the TV signal, allowing the sound of the film to go through the surround sound.

I am getting sound and vision from now tv, but i am also getting sound from the TV while the film is on from the now tv box? that cant be right. I had "sunshine" (film) on with sound and vision on the TV; but i also had "to the manor born" coming in via the surround sound!

The connections are all alien to eachother; the TV has two hdmi sockets, a toslink, component sockets and av sockets NO usb. TV is not a smart tv.

The now tv box has an hdmi, and an av socket that looks like a 2.5mm jack socket.

The surround sound has 1 x hdmi, 1 x usb, 1 x toslink, as well as component and AV sockets.

I cant connect the tv box to the surround sound because the surround sound only has 1 x hdmi, so i cant continue the hdmi connection to the TV.

I just thought it would be good to hear some films on the surround sound, but its not happening.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I've not heard of sound going from a TV to a surround sound system via HDMI before? Normally that'd just be used for sending the picture the other way, if the surround sound system has a DVD/Blu-Ray drive or another means of playing media. 

My setup basically has everything coming into my TV via HDMI (NOW TV Box/Sky Box/Xbox etc.) and then all sound is sent out of the TV via TOSLINK into my speaker system.

Could you try something like that?

Tom

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

You can connect everything via just HDMI but only if both the TV and amp support ARC (audio return channel) control over HDMI, which if it's not a newer model TV or amp might not be the case. If your equipment does support it make sure it's enabled in the setup menus.

Also some TVs specify a particular HDMI port for use with ARC, if yours does you'd need to check with the manual to make sure you connect the amp to that particular HDMI port.

HoweverI've not found ARC to be particularly reliable and I have disabled that option and connect all devices straight to the amp and then passthru to the TV. It's worth doing that if you have equipment like Bluray players as they support newer  audio formats that ARC can't pass along.

As that's not possible with your setup Tom's suggestion might be better, you might need to disable any references to ARC on your TV first though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have done as tom suggests; i'm still not getting the now tv box to come through the surround sound.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If you don't mind posting your TV and Surround System make and model numbers, I might then be able to look up on the Internet their specifications and audio input / output connection to hopefully give you some further advice on how to maybe fix your sound issue.

Also can you confirm that the only two devices that is connected to the 2 number HDMI ports on the back of the television is a NowTV box & Surround Sound Home Cinema system.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Has a quick temporary fix, if you have got a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA (red & white) lead spare anywhere in the house.

You could try plugging in the headphone jack into the 3.5mm port on the back of the NowTV and connect the RCA red & white other end of the cable into the "Audio IN" input (red & white connections) on the rear of your Surround Cinema system.

You may also have to go into the NowTV box settings menu and under sound, select stereo instead of HDMi and when watching anything on the NowTV box you will have to press the RCA option input button either on your Surround Cinema remote controller or somewhere on the front of your Surround Cinema player.

NowTV only works in stereo sound, so this suggested method may hopefully work.

Worth a try if you got a spare 3.5mm to RCA cable handy.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Out of curiosity, just wondering If you have resolved your sound issue between the NowTV box and your Home Theatre system?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, it still doesnt work; i've given up. thanks.