cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

White NowTV Box & Plex

Hi Forum,

I must have been asleep at the wheel as I've only just found out that the old White NowTV box is no longer usable/supported.  Probably because it was connected to an old account and email address as I have the newer Black box and the flat 4K box, the latter I'm still using.  It was only when I thought I'd set up the old White box that I discovered the news albeit a little late to take advantage of any promos that apparently were on offer!!

My question therefore is whether its still possible to put Plex on the box via the developer mode?  I seem to recall doing this with another White box years ago that I've subsequently sold so was just wondering whether it was still possible or whether the only option is to put it in the bin? 

So, would be grateful if anyone could advise whether this could still be used still for Plex or hacked in anyway to make it of some use?  Such a shame despite its low value to simply bin it in which case its unlikely I'll ever invest in any NowTV hardware in the future. 

Thanks to you all in advance for any advice and comments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW dropped the white boxes over a year ago because of limited processing power and security future patch updates.

The same happened with older earlier generation Roku devices in the Roku product line.

Customers who was actively using their white boxes was emailed by NOW where they was either offered a free NOW Stick or a discount to a new NOW Stick for a short period of time.

Developer Mode on the NOW boxes was removed quite a few years back.

If you are looking at a Plex supported device then look at something listed on the Plex website.

https://www.plex.tv/apps-devices/ 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW dropped the white boxes over a year ago because of limited processing power and security future patch updates.

The same happened with older earlier generation Roku devices in the Roku product line.

Customers who was actively using their white boxes was emailed by NOW where they was either offered a free NOW Stick or a discount to a new NOW Stick for a short period of time.

Developer Mode on the NOW boxes was removed quite a few years back.

If you are looking at a Plex supported device then look at something listed on the Plex website.

https://www.plex.tv/apps-devices/ 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.  Maybe the remote and PSU can still be of use if they work with the black box still?, pity nothing can be done with the box itself. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The white remote will work on the NOW black box and NOW Freeview Smart box.

It will also work on the NOW 4K Smart box, but you won't get the full functionality like the NOW Voice Smart remote supplied with this box.

From memory the power adapter on the white box and the adaptor connector is not compatible to any of the other NOW branded devices.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User as I understand from other sites, developer mode was disabled long before the boxes we're deemed unsupported, so no, you won't be able to install Plex.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/downgrade-firmware-on-original-nowtv-box.18768200/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.  I may be able to sell the remote and PSU if they work with the black box still?    It was a few years ago that I loaded Plex on LOL!