cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable To Distinguish Between Devices With Same Name

Hello, I've the maximum of four devices, with three of these devices sharing the same name. 

I'll need to change one of these devices , but  because of having the same names, I'm unable to pin point the exact device shown  on the list of devices in my account (Manage Devices Section).

The NowTv help page on 'Two Or More Of The Same Device' , suggests telling the difference by (quote) -   Use the ‘last used’ date to help you tell between two devices with the same name.

Where exactly can I find the 'Last Used Date' information which will apparently help me identify each individual  device with the same names? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Legend 5
Legend 5

I think that the info is misinformed. You can tell devices by when they were added.  Go to my account, then devices. It is then wise to rename them as appropriate. You should also have an educated guess based on type.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Legend 5
Legend 5

I think that the info is misinformed. You can tell devices by when they were added.  Go to my account, then devices. It is then wise to rename them as appropriate. You should also have an educated guess based on type.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

The three devices with the same name were all added at very much the same date quite some time ago.

Therefore if I try pot-luck and make a guess at which one is which, I've a 3/1 chance of getting it wrong and will therefore be screwed on the Nowtv rule of allowing only one change per month.

It does rather odd that despite what the Nowtv help page states, there doesn't appear to be a method of indivually identyfying devices which Nowtv assigns the same device names to.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI

I was in the same situation as you.  This is what I did (assuming you want to remove one of your three devices and add a new one)

Delete one of the three devices (just pick one at random!)

Physically replace the device you no longer require with the new one.

Register your new device.

Try all your devices. If one of the old devices doesn't work, swap it with the one you removed.

Dave

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Thanks for that suggestion.   

Sounds a good idea, and I think  I'll give it a go after Christmas (just in case I mess it up).

As you probably also found, the help page that says look for the 'Last Date Used' in the Device Manager area is  completely wrong because nowhere is there such information available to the user. 

Before seeing your message here, I had a LiveChat with Nowtv yesterday, but even they weren't able to offer a solution to the problem.

The agent on Livechat was able to give me a code for the last used device.  Although it was obvious that the code related to a Nowtv box,   there was no possible way for the user to link that code with any specific Nowtv box having shared names  -  be that looking through the devices  in the Device Manager on the My Account page nor looking at the Settings>System>About>System Info, for each individual device box.

So it was back to square one as far as that idea was concerned.

Anyway, thanks again for your idea to get around this problem, it's much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User take a look now. The page has just changed and at least for me it's now showing Last Used date instead of Device Added.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User ...........................Thanks so much for the message. 

I probably wouldn't have bothered going back to the page had you not mentioned it.

Looks like the complete 'My Account' page has been updated at sometime today - and yes, it does now show the date a specific device was last used, which of couse helps identfy each device sharing the same name.

Thanks once again for taking the trouble of letting me know - I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Cinzanno
Scholar

Hi I have renamed the devices but they keep reverting back to their generic name and not storing what I rename it to... how do I get the name to stick. I am going to end up removing the wrong one...