cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Temperamental remote

My Now tv remote never works properly. Once I switch it on it takes ages until I can move through the menu and I have to press the buttons many times. Once I’ve been using it for a while it will work ok but it becomes temperamental again if I switch it off. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Could be a few things.

The White box is quite slow now and underpowered compared to other boxes, it will naturally feel sluggish as you move around the interface, particularly with apps such as BBC iPlayer. At some stage you'd need to think about upgrading to one of the newer models.

I assume you've tried new batteries, and don't use rechargeable batteries? Try turning the White box clockwise about 45 degrees so that the right hand corner of the front of the box as you look at it is more straight on to you (this is where the sensor is).

If you have a Apple/Android phone or tablet try downloading the official Roku remote app from the App Store, you can use this to control the box instead of using the remote control. If you have an iPhone the NOW TV app also acts as a remote control as well.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I’ve got the black box and I’m quite a new customer, six months, and been having this problem since the beginning. I don’t think the sensor is the problem since after some time if does work even when I’m not directly pointing at the box.
I also have the app, thanks, which I use sometimes as it is so frustrating, but that means unlocking the phone and going into the app every time I want to do something when I have a remote that should work.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The sensor on the box does have a tight angle of reception so do make sure you're fairly straight on to it. It could just be a faulty remote if you've tried new batteries. Just in case it's an issue with the box responding to the remote try a forced software update to see if it helps.

Press Home on the remote to take you to the home screen. Then do the following sequence on your remote quickly and smoothly (you might want to use the remote app on your phone for this part)

Home (x5) FF (x3) REW (x2)

If done correctly a Secret Screen will appear (if it doesn't, press Home to go back to the start and then try again). Choose Update software and allow it to run (even if it reports the same version as you already have).

If that doesn't help and a new set of batteries don't make any difference then it sounds like a hardware fault and I'd suggest returning it for a replacement or repair under warranty.