cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Statutory rights for faulty NOW TV box

NOW TV sold me a viewing box 13 months ago, which has broken completely today.

NOW TV rep denied they are associated with Sky - but there terms and conditions say they are a trading name of Sky.

Furthermore, he claims that I've agreed a 12 months warranty which supersedes my Sale of Goods / Consumer Rights Act rights.

See UNBELIEVABLE chat below:

How does NOW TV get away with it??

Sajid: Warren, your Box seems to be out of warranty as it's been over a year now.
Me: Come on, I pay each month for your service and the Sales of Goods Act says things must last a reasonable time which could be up to 5 years.
Sajid: i understand your concern, if the Box would have been under warranty I would have replaced it right away.
Me: So what can you do?
Sajid: Warren, the only option you have is to buy a new NOW TV Box for £14.99.
Me: Absolutely no way. I don't want to claim under the manufacturers warranty I want to claim from you as a retailer through my statutory rights.
Me: My statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act are in addition to any warranty.
Sajid: Warren, if it was possible I would have done that already.
Me: It is possible as it is an implied term of our contract. I could refer to Ombudsman services or Trading Standards.
Sajid: The terns and conditions you accepted at the start of service states for 1 year of warranty.
Me: You're now breaching my statutory rights - thats why a warranty always says 'this does not effect your statutory rights'
Me: You can't exclude the implied terms of the sales of goods act - they supersede any warranty.
Me: See here: Implied terms about quality or fitness

Section 14 provides:

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A)... goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all other relevant circumstances.

(2B)... the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods

(a) fitness for the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b) appearance and finish,
(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and
(e) durability.
Sajid: Warren, believe me I cannot do much in this scenario.
Me: So, should do you agree that we can refer to Trading Standards or Ombudsman Communications?
Me: Ignore should*
Me: You are Sky plc trading as Now TV aren't you?
Sajid: No, Sky and NOW TV are a totally different services.
Sajid: I haven’t heard back from you, if you still need help please let me know otherwise I'll have to end our chat.
Me: Just confirm that you can't assist with my compliant and theres nothing further I can do
Me: As your a subsidiary of sky plc I can refer to ombudsman communications
Me: In fact you are sky: your terms and conditions say so: NOW TV is a trading name of British Sky Broadcasting Limited
Me: So I can ask for a Deadlock letter as you subscribe to Ombudsman Communications - can I have one please?
Sajid: In order to rectify this error you'll have to get a new NOW TV Box as there is an technical issue with the Box.
Me: You'll replace free of charge?
Sajid: As your Box is out of warranty you'll have to get a new Box.
Me: Just to confirm, you won't replace it/give me a new one?
Sajid: Unfortunately Warren, I cannot replace your Box.
Me: Ok, can you give me confirmation that we are at 'deadlock' and there is nothing further I can do - so I may refer to Ombudsman Services?
Sajid: What kind of confirmation are you referring to?
Me: So, as Sky subscribed to the Ombudsman service - which decides disputes on telecommunication providers amongst other things - the guidelines say that you have to confirm that you cannot escalate my complaint any further and we are at 'deadlock' and then the Ombudsman will resolve the complaint?
Sajid: I am not saying that we do not have a resolution we do have and the resolution says that you'll have to purchase a new NOW TV Box as the Box you are currently using has got some technical problem.
Me: Well I don't agree with that - so thats not a resolution and therefore the Ombudsman will decide whether you should replace under the Sales of Goods Act?
Sajid: Okay,
Sajid: NOW TV Box comes with 1 year warranty only.
Me: Ok, thats is in our contract.. that is a manufacturers warranty
Me: As you sold me the goods, you have obligations under the Sale of Goods Act as a retailer.. this is completely separate to the warranty
Sajid: I am afraid but ti get this issue fixed you'll have to purchase a new Box.
Me: OK. I'm letting you know that I've raised a complaint. if you don't resolve within eight weeks of today Ill refer Sky to the Communications Ombudsman and they will decide - and Ill post this chat on the forum also.
Sajid: I understand that Warren.

12 REPLIES 12
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I had similar with carphone warehouse. They refused to give me a replacement phone whilst mine was sent off for repair. I found out the following. A fault has to be present at time of purchase, even if it is only apparent at a later date. Goods must last a reasonable time before inherent faults manifest. You would obviously expect a television to last longer than an object in Poundland. In the first 6 months the burden of proof falls on the vendor to prove the goods were fit for purpose. After that the burden is on the consumer. You need to prove that these goods were faulty at time of purchase. Please keep in mind your contract regarding the sale of the Now box is with the company you bought it from. Did you buy it directly from Now?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Oh wow,

It would appear that Warren is not aware that certain high street retailers and Amazon often run special low price offers that include 'Entertainment' or 'Movie' voucher passes complete with the newer NOW TV 'black' box (ie: they are bundled together). Which effectively means you get a new (more powerful) NOW TV 'black' box for nothing Smiley Surprised

Like many of us here, I now have quite a collection of NOW TV 'white' and 'black' boxes gathering dust...

Cheers 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did buy it from NOW TV, yes. 

Thanks for your response. I spoke to Trading Standards today and they said the same as you. However, they said I have to put forward evidence but this could be merely circumstantial evidence - i.e. the box was bought 13 months ago and now its completely dead with no physical damage etc. He said if the retailer wants you to get some evidence, wait until you've began proceedings at small claims and then you can definitely claim it back. 

They said they are going to contact Sky anyway about its practices based on that webchat history.  

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  have you opened a second account?  You originally posted as @Anonymous User.  The problem with second accounts is you risk getting a duplicate charge to your account.   I would get one or other deleted to avoid this issue.  I thought trading standards would advise same, they are ones who gave me the advice I shared with you relating to a different company.  How you wish to proceed is up to you.   I wouldn't jump to any decision.  

What passes do you use?  Do you get these direct from Now?  just trying to figure best way forward for you.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, sorry - its to do with my old Sky account. I signed in to check something. 

I think im going to try another OD provider as customer service is awful here. Sent a tweet to @nowtvhelp and have been completely ignored also. 

If I dont hear back from NOWTV / Sky within eight weeks, ill quickly referral to the Ombudsman out of principle but other than that I think ill go elsewhere. 

Cheers for your help though @4268

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Okay WRS or whatever your name is... 

How about you PM me your address and I'll send you a 'never been used' NOW TV 'black' box. Will this cheer you up? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I've dropped you an e-mail about this, please keep an eye out in your Inbox/Spam folders.

Thanks

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well mine is under warranty and they will not replace it........

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User where did you buy the box from as the warranty is via the seller which for most users is Argos, Currys, Sainsbury's, Tesco etc and not NOW TV direct.