cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV output too large for CRT?

Since the iPlayer app updated, most of it's menu options are displayed off the top, or off to the left of my CRTs screen, making it almost impossible to use.

Are there any settings I can tweak to reduce the picture size of the NowTV output, or am I out of luck? TV works fine with DVD player and Freeview stb, and I've tried all of the TV's aspect ratios.

Cheers, Ben

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for your post.

Have you tried changing the Display ratio via Settings> Display Type?

Kind regards,

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Birgit, I've tried both the 16:9 (which matches my TV) and 4:3, oddly, it makes no difference at all to the picture I'm seeing - it looks exactly the same on the NowTV home screen and in the iPlayer app for both ratios.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry for the trouble @Anonymous User 

It seems that there may have been an issue with the update they released. Unfortunately we don't have any control over 3rd party apps therefore you need to contact iPlayer directly 😞

Kind regards,

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is rediculous,  you can't see ANY menus on the updated iplayer app.  Even if it did work the new layout looks rubbish anyway,  why couldn't they leave it as it was..easy,  quick and simple.

I think Now TV/Sky should be the ones to contact the BBC about this problem because having access to on demand TV is one of the big selling points of the Now TV box and loads of people aren't going to be happy when they discover the new iplayer app doesn't display correctly on their TV's.

Not everyone has or can afford a HD television so many people need to use the CRT output which again is a big selling point of the Now TV box because it is one of only a few boxes that actually have this output option.  These "apps" are part of the Now TV package/box and you should be taking responsibility for ensuring everything that is available on the Now TV box works on the Now TV box.

Or at the very least can you not upgrade the box firmware so that it outputs the display in the correct resolution/size to fit the screen.

If I paid my TV License I would be extremely angry right now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its not just CRT screens which are affected ....

Please feel free to let the BBC know about it

I just have, but the more the merrier

HERE

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Heres hows its currently looking on the Now box

LINK

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Heres hows its currently looking on the Now box

LINK

Your TV has Overscan enabled you need to digg around the Zoom/scaling functions to disable the over scan...

The scaling going to high...

Because the out put is 720p the HDTV has to be told How to display it

if it did not you would have black boarders around EVERY side as 720p does not fill a 1080p panel... and SD content would not fill a 720p panel...

The modes that scale 576p - 720p to 1080p are zoom to full size, Scale to Full, max size upscale... and so on and so on...

Automatic should normaly be disabled for Aspec ratio and scaling and they both should be set up manualy by you the user...

TV makers will hide these options in the advanced menu for Each channel... HDMI 1 or 2  or 3 and scart can all have individual settings all independant from each other if you have expensive HDTV model...

Because its a TV mode issue NONE of the HTML5 app developers will do anything as its Specific HDTVs only... and most can be altered to the correct user settings after digging around in your manual...

[video]

In that video you can see it effecting other devices but with the HDTV set up correctly you can use the remote to remove over scan by selecting the mode with the correctly set zoom now set up.... as shown in the Video above with 720p content being displayed in 1080p panel..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Overscan ?

But it was fine last week befor BBC switched to this new design !

anyway I tried overscan on/off, it made a minor differece. but the design sill doesn't fit the display in either case

+ I doubt the OP would have an overscan option on a CRT

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry I forgot to say

+ as I said before every other app on the Now box is  still displaying as it did previously, i.e correctly