cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Purple Screen No picture

Hi i've seen the post here

http://help.nowtv.com/HelpArticle?id=kA1G0000000CuoxKAC&topicKey=NOW_TV_Box|NOW%20TV%20Box|1&selecte...

Last modified 20 Nov 2013

that says the HDMI Lead is the problem ?

this is the lead that was provided with the NowTV Box so do we have to buy another lead ?

i have re-set the box still the same problem, internet speed is ok 20mb +

buying new leads wont solve the problem imo as i have other HDMI Shielded leads and HDMI Leads on my Sky box i have tried them all with the NowTV Box they all have the same problem ? when connected to the NowTV Box Purple screen no picture the Sound is ok.

Is there any ideas how to resolve it ?. numerous leads dont work

is it a Box Firmware problem ?

Thanks

168 REPLIES 168
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Welshwitch,

Thanks for posting.

Just wanted to add my personal experience of this issue, sadly it's not something that's exclusive to the NOW TV Box I've had this happen on a number of devices and have had to unplug the HDMI and restart them which is of course a bit of a pain! I also found the results differed depending what other devices I had connected to that TV.

Currently we do have a help article regarding this issue but please let us know if you believe there's anything we could add to this or to make it more accessible.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Simon,

I had not connected anything else to the TV apart from the Now TV box using the HDMI cable you provide. Like I said it was fine then it wasn't. Trying to find any solution was time consuming as your suggested link states to use another cable if removing & reconnecting the original one still doesn't work. Neither worked it was only when someone had posted that unplugging the tv & then turning back on!

This did work but took some time & by this point I had missed a lot of the film I wanted to watch. Maybe this suggestion should be added to your FAQs so that it is easier & quicker to resolve issues ratter than having to scroll through umpteen posts of which the majority are irrelevant,
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Im having this issue trying to connect my now box to a computer monitor. I have to use a Hdmi to Dvi lead as the monitor has no hdmi ports.
I understand this is some kind of hardware issue but why in gods name would you engineer the box to even care what its plugged in to? The menus display fine so the hardware and cabling is perfectly up to the job of physically displaying high resolution video.
Any chance of a firmware update to fix the issue properly as there appear to be ample sufferers.
Many thanks. Jon
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The reason is to prevent you from connecting to a device that allows you to record the content from the box.

Plus it'll probably be in the licencing agrement with the content providers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
But surely you could still record over composite?
It's such an unnecessary pain as anyone who was seriously into pirating
content would be able to get around the system anyway.
Never mind. Looks like it'll have to be lo-res from here on in.
A shameful flaw in whats otherwise an excellent product.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've never bothered to try with my Now TV box over composite (or any other method) and I fully understand what you're saying.

Although it's designed to prevent, there may be ways round this, or indeed no way at all, but here's not the place to discuss this.

(big section written and then deleted, just in case)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have had the dreaded purple screen twice now - I have changed hdmi leads rebooted the box etc several time with no joy but that still had no effect.
In the end I pulled the plug on the the lot - TV ,now TV, sat box, dvd etc waited 2 mins put the power back on and voila! It all worked fine. This suggests the now TV box is the problem if it has a 'handshake' issue then sky/roku need to sort out a software fix.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What I cannot get my head around is why all of a sudden would this happen

I have a 2 port Panasonic HDMI tv in one port is a Sky box in the other is a Sony HDMI switch in port 1 in an XBox in port 2 is a PS3 and in prt 3 is NOWTV, all has worked ok for months then last night I tried to play something thorugh the NOWTV box and I got the purple screen with sound. Why would it work then not?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm not sure if you have done this but an obvious step is to remove the Now TV HDMI cable from the set up and try it in an hdmi socket on its own

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have mate thanks. I have tried new cable, it's own port, I think tonight is disconnect everything turn everything off at the mains and then reconnect one at a time using HDMI 1.4 cables