cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor

Now TV box keeps crashing

My NOW TV box keeps crashing mid-way through programs which is so irritating. My box is now 2 years old. Has it reached the end of its life? I've done the reset and updated to most recent software but keeps happening...any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Now TV box keeps crashing

@KMM20 wrote:
Yes I'm using an HDMI cable and use Virgin fibre optic. I'll go and browse tomorrow at new boxes.

Indeed it does @KMM20

Your topic has therefore been moved from the 'NOW TV 'black' box' area of the forum to the 'NOW TV 'white' box' area of the forum...

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •

View solution in original post

79 Replies
Highlighted
Advocate

Re: Unable to stream, buffering constantly.

My white now tv box is constantly buffering, Its been doing it for a while now but seems to be getting worse, I dont seem to even be able to watch even a few minutes of a programme without it buffering its driving me insane.  If I watch through the PS4 or laptop its fine but I want to use the box on tv.

I have great firbre unlimited broadband speed and I have read the threads on here and tried all the tips but nothing.

Any advice of why this is? I dont see why I should need to buy a new black box at full price, would that even make any difference?

Urgh, so annoying.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

In relation to my message above, my download speed is 28.10mb/s and upload 18.72mb/s

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @AGamble,

Before you do anything else I suggest you re-boot your router (and ethernet switches), as it often helps resolve de-synchronising (data packet) errors, clears RAM build-up errors and even static build-up that can cause 'switching' errors!

The standard practice is to disconnect the devices power for around 30 seconds before reconnecting.

Cheers

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Thank you for your response, I have re bouted the router many times and ive also reset the box. Any other suggesstions?

Thank you.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sadly, it sounds like your 'white' box may have reached the end of its life Smiley Sad

Every now and again, various retails offer NOW TV 'bundle' deals, where you can buy a 'black' box together with either 'Entertainment' or 'Cinema' voucher passes for a lot less than buying the two products separately.

As (bad) luck would have it you've just missed out on some really good 'bundle' deals from Argos and Tesco. Currently they're both offering 3 month Entertainment or 2 month Cinema 'bundle' deals for £25.00... Which still saves you around a tenner 😉

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Ok, thank you for your help.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@KMM20

I am guessing you are using the standard nowtv black box which should be fine in normal circumstances running the latest UI software, Its the nowtv white box that is a bit long in tooth nowadays, due to less processing power under the hood and does seem to struggle with the newer more UI power hungry apps.

Are you using a WiFi or hard wired Ethernet connection to the nowtv box (Where particular possible try using a Ethernet connection which will give you a more stable streaming feed to the box). 

If you are using WiFi, perhaps looking at the settings in your Router ie changing WiFI channels etc.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Thanks for your reply.

My box is a white box if that makes a difference?!

I'm running off wifi. When you say about changing wifi channels, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks!
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@KMM20

Yeah, in my opinion the white box is now a little outdated and seems to be more buggy and temperamental with the latest UI software.

Personally, if it was me i would invest in a new nowtv black box and take advantage of the voucher code that comes included in the box from Retailers such has Argos etc (assuming you are using a HDMI cable to your existing TV).

What is the make and model of your Router and what broadband speed do you get at your house ?

Hopefully, some other helpful forum members on here will give you some further assistance with your current white box to get you back up and running.