cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV box keeps crashing

My NOW TV box keeps crashing mid-way through programs which is so irritating. My box is now 2 years old. Has it reached the end of its life? I've done the reset and updated to most recent software but keeps happening...any help would be appreciated
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Yes I'm using an HDMI cable and use Virgin fibre optic. I'll go and browse tomorrow at new boxes.

Indeed it does @Anonymous User

Your topic has therefore been moved from the 'NOW TV 'black' box' area of the forum to the 'NOW TV 'white' box' area of the forum...

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,
Recently my Roku white box has been crashing and rebooting while in use. Doesn't matter what channel or app is in use, this has been happening for the past month or so. OS is updated to current version so don't know what could what could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

It's most likely a 'lack of memory' and processing power issue. Some people have had some success deleting apps and/or reseting their white boxes to free up memory. However, if the problem persits you're better off treating yourself to the newer 'black' NOW TV box.

Every now and again, various retails offer NOW TV 'bundle' deals, where you can buy a 'black' box together with either 'Entertainment' or 'Cinema' voucher passes for a lot less than buying the two products separately.

If you're interested, Currys/PC World are currently offereing the following 'black' box 'bundle' deals: -

NOW TV 'black' box with 2 month 'Movies' pass @ £14.99

NOW TV 'black' box with 3 month 'Entertainment' pass @ £14.99

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think it might be this after looking through some older posts. Looks like I might have to treat myself!!!
Cheers
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for info - fyi this Currys/PC World deal out of stock for delivery or collection in London  😞   14.8.17

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Deals pop up regularly. 🙂

You can always check Argos, Amazon etc...

Heck, even supermarkets! 😉

If you don't want to buy a box, remember there are more devices to choose from. 🙂

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

A few people over at HotUK Deals have reported that Asda are selling the nowtv box with 3 month entertainment voucher pass for £10 and Sainsburys are selling both the box with either the 3 month entertainment or 2 month cinema voucher pass for £13.50.

They might be store specific, but if you buy your groceries from either of the above supermarkets then it might be worth checking out.

Unfortunately stocks are starting to dwindle (especially around the £15 price mark) for both the 3 month entertainment and 2 month cinema pass bundled boxes, due to NowTV are starting to roll out the bundled boxes with the reduced duration (1 month less) passes in the box which cost more.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine does the same!!

And trying to do a live chat on the help page is useless as this crashes too!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind WHATSOEVER that this is a scam to try and force customers into buying new, black boxes. Therefore, this will happen again in the future. 

Shame as I previously recommended NOW TV to everyone. Now they're on my "BT, British Gas, Vodafone" scam list. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi SB

I am surprised you think upgrading from the white Now TV box to the black one is a scam, simply because if you knew anything about computers and their peripherals you would know that most IT kit only have a useful life of two to three years.  

Also, from a personal view point, I do not like how the IT world churns computer equipment, i.e. making a perfectly useful item obsolete by bringing out the next new shiny hardware.  It's even worse in the software/application end of the IT industry, software makers are always bringing out new software that cannot run on older machines and so forcing the user to upgrade to something more powerful if they want to keep working.

And so, unfortunately, that's what happened to the white box, app makers, such as YouTube and the BBC, upgraded their apps until the box could no longer work properly, the apps had grown beyond what it's CPU and memory could handle efficiently.

So you see SB, that's the way of the IT world, making people idealy change their IT kit every 2 - 3 years.

As for me, I don't like the churning of equipment either, I try to keep my IT kit until it no longer works and is uneconomical to repair.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That link is dead. I signed in and got:

"You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.
Click your browser's Back button to continue.
Return to my original page"

My white box (wireless only) powers down / hibernates after a few minutes of inactivity. No response from remote. Unplug everything, no difference.