cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV box keeps crashing

My NOW TV box keeps crashing mid-way through programs which is so irritating. My box is now 2 years old. Has it reached the end of its life? I've done the reset and updated to most recent software but keeps happening...any help would be appreciated
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Yes I'm using an HDMI cable and use Virgin fibre optic. I'll go and browse tomorrow at new boxes.

Indeed it does @Anonymous User

Your topic has therefore been moved from the 'NOW TV 'black' box' area of the forum to the 'NOW TV 'white' box' area of the forum...

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I do not. Would this solve the problem? Do the white boxes have issues?
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User the white boxes are slower and less powerful so some apps may not as good on it. They have been out for a few years. Since you use Now, the link I sent was for a black box with 3 months entertainment pass for £14.99. (£5 a month) allowing you to save £2.99 a month for the next 3 months.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @4268

Hi JP

Just to emphasize 4268's point, the white box is severely underpowered for today's apps and, in effect, is at the end of it's useful life.

I say this because I too owned a white box for two years and noticed for the last 9 months or so of it's life how it struggled when trying to play anything on YouTube, it crashed on some other apps and had difficulty with BBC's iplayer.

I finally gave up on it when it started to blank out my TV screen every 3 or so minutes when trying to watch something online. So I bought myself a £14.99 black box with a free 3 month entertainment pass, I've not looked back since.

UK Bob

Legend 5
Legend 5
@ukbobboy I was also thinking getting the box on offer could save @Anonymous User on their subscription.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,
I have owned the now tv white box for some time now and it used to be great. Since the update to all 4, it just doesn't seem to be able to play any of the catch up channels without crashing and then restarting itself back to the main menu. This is also now starting to happen when watching movies or entertainment on the now tv app.

I have tried updating the box and manually resetting the box myself but the problem still persists. I was watching a programme yesterday which froze and then I got an error message -100. What is going on, do I need to purchase a new black box?

Thanks
Owen
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi CO22

I'm a former white box owner, when my Now TV box started to behave badly I knew it was time to ditch it and get a black box, this was after 2 years of usefulness.

The white box can no longer cope with modern apps and the updated OS it now has, it's processor is just too under powered.  Plus, it's useful life as an electrical device has long past.

In all honesty, you would be better off getting yourself a new Now TV black box, if you are quick you maybe able to get one before the new price rise kicks in, i.e. a new black box with a free 3 month Entertainment pass instead of 2.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

To follow on from what ukbobboy has already said, your issue is most likely related to its 'lack of memory' and/or processing power!

You could try deleting any non used apps and/or resetting your old 'white' box to free up memory. However, if the problem persits you're better off treating yourself to one of the newer 'black' NOW TV boxes.

And just-so-you-know... NOW TV have no control over 'third-party' apps, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, RedBull TV, YouTube etc. Their content, their delivery systems, their UI's and their distribution platform are entirely controlled by the service provider.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My white now tv box is constantly buffering, Its been doing it for a while now but seems to be getting worse, I dont seem to even be able to watch even a few minutes of a programme without it buffering its driving me insane.  If I watch through the PS4 or laptop its fine but I want to use the box on tv.

I have great firbre unlimited broadband speed and I have read the threads on here and tried all the tips but nothing.

Any advice of why this is? I dont see why I should need to buy a new black box at full price, would that even make any difference?

Urgh, so annoying.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In relation to my message above, my download speed is 28.10mb/s and upload 18.72mb/s