cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV White Box - No Replacement or Refund

We have just tried to use our white NowTV box after several months (long and painful story) only to discover that it is no lnger supported - despite paying for it. Never have we received an email about this despite being called a liar by Cliford on chat.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Basically been left with a device that we paid for and being told need to purchase a stick - which could also be withdrawn at anytime! Surely this constitutes a breach of consumer rights?

24 REPLIES 24
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Sorry, what’s not true, exactly?

(Apart from white boxes being £9.99, not £15, as I have just learned?)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The fact that they did not contact all customers to give them options. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As frustrating it may be, the point is NOW no longer sell their devices on the web. Nor do they plan to restock their devices or create new devices. 

If you still intend to watch NOW, then its either buy an Amazon fire device or a Roku stick. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
starman73
Elite

they did not contact all customers to give them options. 

But you were not a customer at the time NOW  decommissioned the white box.  You can’t expect NOW to contact everyone who ever used a white box and offer them a replacement device.

I think it was pretty generous of them to replace the old white boxes for existing customers who hadn’t upgraded given Currys and Argos had been selling black boxes and stick for less than the price of passes in the interim. I suspect the cost of sending them a stick was more than made up for by what they spent on passes.

Even now you can get a stick off Amazon for less than £30 which contains a Cinema pass, an entertainment pass and a sports day pass that combined would cost £4 more.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

That is not in doubt, and I didn’t say they did contact all customers.

In order to be contacted, customers needed to be:-

Active users of a white box, either as their sole way of accessing NowTV, or as a significant way of accessing NowTV, as measured in September 2020;

AND

To be contactable by an email address that NowTV held for them.

Anyone who met the ‘active’ criteria, but not the ‘email’ criteria, though, would have put up a query pretty sharpish after their white box stopped working though, wouldn’t you say?

And we did have a few, at the time.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No I wouldn't, as you ask. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m still not clear what your beef is though, about this £10 box you will have had 7 years’ use out of.

Is it that you met the usage criteria, but Now won’t play ball because you are only reporting this  9 months later, or what?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you even need to understand or do you work for now TV? If you haven't got anything helpful to say, kindly move on to another forum!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

In no disrespect no-one on this thread works for NOW we are simply customers like yourself. 

However after multiple posts other customers including myself have tried to tell you that NOW don’t supply or even produce their own hardware anymore. So the chances of you getting a “free” device from NOW over a box that was decommissioned 8/9 months ago is highly unlikely.

If your still unhappy you are better served going straight to the source and not on a customer forum. That being said I’ll bet that staff at NOW will tell you to buy an Amazon or Roku stick. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks. The frustration for me is Now TV won't respond other than auto responses so have now referred to CISAS. Even with the personal reasons involving covid which delayed the realisation that the product had stopped working. No empathy at all.