cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV White Box - No Replacement or Refund

We have just tried to use our white NowTV box after several months (long and painful story) only to discover that it is no lnger supported - despite paying for it. Never have we received an email about this despite being called a liar by Cliford on chat.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Basically been left with a device that we paid for and being told need to purchase a stick - which could also be withdrawn at anytime! Surely this constitutes a breach of consumer rights?

24 REPLIES 24
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sorry to hear that you’ve been called a liar.

However NOW are no longer producing their own devices, they removed the option to purchase the stick from the website. 

Your only option is to purchase either a Roku or Amazon fire stick. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Steve2334
Scholar

I got the message Now TV no longer supports this device! I do have a Roku streaming stick too which became quite unreliable but will try that next.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Conned……why would anyone buy a stick when they’ve been shafted on the boxes.

weird thing is we plugged it in yesterday and the thing (white box) worked absolutely fine. However today there’s a message saying it’s no longer supported. So it was on the 24th but not on 25th June 2021😂

Sky love stealing money off customers under false pretences!!!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Simple answer to that. Don’t buy a device from NOW.

You can purchase a full blown Roku stick or Amazon fire stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yup…..that’s why I replied to a post suggesting people by a NowTV stick to say who would trust Sky… 😂

Weird thing is it worked yesterday despite Sky bining off white boxes last October as incompatible with current app needs. We watched Now TV, BBC iPlayer and ITV hub- no problems.

This shows the excuse to withdraw to be ###### and just a way of getting people to buy more NowTV product or other devices hosting Now TV from which no doubt they’ve earned licensing fees….

Should be surprised…..but this is Broken Britain. No other nation on the earth would put up with this crap
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NOW no longer sell any hardware on its site for any devices to watch NOW. It appears they have finally accepted they are a streaming service and focusing on the app itself. 

The only device I bought was the Smart box, but even then I got rid of it because of the lack of Netflix and Amazon prime at the time. 

What annoys me is that the NOW devices are a product of Roku, they should have just left all devices to the full blown Roku hardware.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Steve2334 

People who were still actively using this 8-year-old technology as their sole access to Now (they can tell) at a cutoff date before the white boxes were sunsetted, and had a valid email address that Now could write to were offered a free new Now Stick to replace the white box.

People who were still actively using this 8-year-old technology to access Now, but who were also using another means to access it (again, Now can tell) at a cutoff date before the white boxes were sunsetted, and had a valid email address that Now could write to were offered a discounted new Now Stick to replace the white box.

People who did not meet the email criterion, but felt that they met one of the usage criteria, were invited to contact Now Live Chat to see what might be done.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/some-now-tv-boxes-will-stop-working/

The cutoff date was chosen so that it would be too late for those who just got wind of the announcement, and tried to put an old, unused white box back into service, to qualify.

And note the cessation date - more than 8 months ago. It takes 8 months to notice that a white box in regular use has stopped functioning? Er……

Honestly, though, even so - 2013? £15? So £2 a year? That’s less than the cost of a weeks’ Entertainment, but you want to sweat it, for a device  you probably gave up watching Now on yonks ago?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's actually not true. Now TV has confirmed they did not email me. The reason the box was not used recently was due to the family being broken up due to covid and social distancing.