cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No option to disable auto-renew, only cancel?

Hi there,

I've just bought my Now TV box and have started my 30 day free trial. I don't know if I'll keep the box after 30 days, so would like to prevent this from autorenewing. However I do not wish to cancel my free trial at this stage.

Reading these forums, there are a lot of references to going to My Account on the web, clicking Cancel and disabling Auto Renew. However, when I try this I only have the option to cancel - there are no references to subscriptions or autorenew.

If I click cancel, will this also cancel my free trial? How do I keep the trial running but prevent the subscription from starting?

Thanks in advance,

Stu.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User - this is correct the account will need to be cancelled in the last month of his 3 months pass. Any time before will cancel his subscription but more importantly the offer of the pass.

Char

NOW TV Team

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So you do not have to do anything with autorenew?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also very confused wifh the missiong auto renew option. So if I click on Cancel will it kill the service straight away or will it continue till the end of that payment?

I liked the idea of having the option to cancel the auto renew as I feel safe that that. Not everyone will be wanting to pay evey month as not everyone can afford to. I liked it as it was before - pay - cancel = safety net.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
The method of Cancelling has changed. However fear not Cancelling does not bring an automatic immediate end it will continue to the end of the period paid for and this will now be clearly stated. Much simpler than the auto renew option
Anonymous User
Not applicable
The problem is in the word Cancel which, for a pay-as-you-go service implies exactly that, the cancellation of the service at that point. Now TV are using the word Cancel like a full subscription service, like Sky, where the customer is cancelling up until the end of the month/30-days/see-your-contract-and-read-the-fine-print.

A true pay-as-you-go service would separate the two concepts to make this clear. Take a look at giffgaff.com where this has been got right with their goodybags. You but a goodybag (a month with defined services). Separately, you can control auto-renew at the account level, stopping any overspend. This is much easier as a concept. Why not do this?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User this one is actually a little ironic.

Quite a long time ago on the community (I can't remember exactly but well over a year ago), we had a rather large topic where everybody was complaining that we didn't have an option to cancel; only one to auto-renew.

In the end, we bowed to demand and changed over to "cancel", even though the functionality itself is exactly the same as it was before.

So I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, and we'll never find the perfect word to use, but the functionality does exactly the same as it always did- stops payments being taken from you.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that I'm not the first to put their thoughts forward here. However, I think you're concentrating on the part of my post where I talk about the meaning of the word Cancel; my suggestion was actually to avoid needing a confusing, "imperfect" word by separating the concepts of purchase and auto-renew, making the latter an option (defaulting to "on" if you like but which I can turn off) when I buy a thing. This could be either at the service level (e.g. Movies, Ents) or account level (either but not both IMHO, using the keep-it-simple-stupid principle). That way we don't need to nitpick the meaning of a word.

Sounds as if this will fall on deaf ears. However, please treat this as a suggestion for a service improvement.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

All my now tv boxes where binned last year, biggest pile of #### ever,but we are talking SKY here so no real surprise. Every body stop moaning about this & just get rid of this ####.SKY don't listen WONT listen but they will fleece you of your money.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It would have a been a good idea IF a cancel button even exists

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Due to lack of vigilance on my card, I had auto renew running for the last 3 months and did not watch a single Now TV ents programme!
Will cancel now, feel cheated as I had no email warnings.

With my broadband - Plusnet example - I get an email every month warning me of the impending payment.

Will now cancel and ensure I never, ever subscribe to Now TV again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you for real?

That answer has just reinforced my statement.

Pay as you go is a completely different entity to cancelling a product i have already qualified to recieve.

For all intents and purposes i have paid for the trial period and that should run its life.

I have no need to cancel that product as it is already paid for.

Forcing me to cancel a product in order to opt out of a subscription that is described as Pay As You Go.

You are assuming i wish to continue.

That makes your Pay as You Go a subcription.

Any attempt by Now TV to take money out of my account after the trial period without my consent opens a whole new realm of legal issues.

From the trade descriptions act, Sale of goods act, The Direct Debit act and many more.

I bet if i took you to court you are not legally allowed to take money out of my bank account without my legal consent.

I have signed no credit, card payment or Direct Debit agreement with you so what you do after my trial is over is nothing more than theft/Fraud call it what you will.

Now if you wish to deffend such actions i reckon in most peoples eye's you would qualify as a low life.

Automatically taking money from people without their consent because you have made your opt out feature so disguised most wouldn't understand it is disgusting, Despicble and i could probably invent words to describe how low it is.

Take on board some feedback from what i suspect is the majority of your customers and be "Here To Help" then do the right thing.

Otherwise i would suspect you will have a lot of happy customers who have got themselves a very cheap catch up TV box.