cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV Box

With the reveal that a new NOW TV Box is coming this year, together with a refreshed UI, I though it would be a good idea to share some of our requests. So, with this in mind, here are a few of my own:

1. Roku 3 - The new box needs at least comparable power to a Roku 3. The current box performs less than satisfactory when using iPlayer or YouTube. Roku 3 components would ensure smooth running apps for at least a couple of years.

2. Reasonable price - I don't expect the new box to retail for the same price but at the same time, I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £40. For a Roku 3 powered device that would represent good value.

3. New UI Features - The ability to flag favourite shows and easily access these ala iPlayer would be extremely welcome.

4. Better access to free channels - If you are going to give us sky news / sports for free with certain subscriptions, then why not just build them into the app. Either under a News & Sports section to complement the entertainment / sport packs or within the entertainment pack itself. Don't make me leave the app to catch the news bulletin and then have to load it again.

5. Refreshed News / Sports apps - If not the above, then how about some decent news / sport apps with access to on demand interviews etc for the latter.

6. No more glitches - I want all pictures to load in a decent resolution, the current UI leaves blank screens which looks ######.

7. HD - Enough said, give us the option to stream channels in at least 720p

So, there's mine for now, how about yours?
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I would imagine they will use this box http://blog.roku.com/blog/2014/12/18/sky-deutschland-launches-the-roku-powered-sky-online-tv-box/

It's a fairly decent price too, we've got a few of the White Nowtv boxes, roku 3 and a roku stick and out of them all obviously the roku 3 is the standout device performance wise.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Mumbler2014, I was thinking the same, any idea of the specs of the German Sky / Roku box?
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Oh wait, here we go:
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try again...

Manufacturer: Roku
Dimensions (WxHxD): 8.9 x 8.9 x 2.5 inches
Resolution: 1080p
Processor: Dual Core
Memory: 512 MB
​​Ports: HDMI, Ethernet, USB, microSD card slot for
Wi-Fi: Dual band / dual-antenna (MIMO)

Source: http://www.sky.de/web/cms/de/kundencenter-receiveruebersicht.jsp?selectedArea=sky-online-tv-box&shur...

So, it is basically a Roku 3 without the remote features, I would be happy with that if priced right, hopefully £20-£30.  If it's already in production in Germany then hopefully the wait won't be too long, the only thing holding it back would be the refreshed UI if they wanted to launch the two together. 

Perhaps a launch to coincide with the Rugby World Cup?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I would imagine they will use this box http://blog.roku.com/blog/2014/12/18/sky-deutschland-launches-the-roku-powered-sky-online-tv-box/

Looks like a Roku 3 minus the fancy remote, as it talks about 1080p, Ethernet, 512MB RAM, SD Card support and no Composite video.

Introductory price is €49 ~ £38, rising to €69 ~ £52.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please, please, please give it 50Hz output.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was excited to hear about a new box.

Happy with what I have now but always open to upgrading if the benefits are worth it and the price right.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
How do we know it's gonna be a Roku? Sky might surprise us and release a you view style box. You never know 😉
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
How do we know it's gonna be a Roku? Sky might surprise us and release a you view style box. You never know 😉

We don't, but Sky have invested heavily in Roku.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

It'd be nice if they had this new Roku 3-style box at about £40 and then phase out the basic box, replacing it with a basic Now TV HDMI stick for the same current price (£9.99).

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.