cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

[NO SPOILERS] Sky Atlantic's 2.00am Simulcast with HBO - are there ad breaks?

I just subscribed to Now TV to watch Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic - if I watch the 2.00am live broadcast will it be split with ad breaks?

According to a speed test my connection is around 53Mbs - what sort of quality can I expect from NowTV?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if you managed to stay up to watch the live stream of GOT S8 Ep 3 at 2.00 am this morning, but like i suspected there was advert breaks during the live stream.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Lindzi
Elite 2

@Anonymous User 

If you watch it live it will have adverts as it's live tv. 

Your broadband speed is absolutely fine. I watch via apps on my smart tv and have used the black box previously. All these devices have perfectly acceptable playback but i have never viewed via a browser on a laptop and so can't comment on watching that way. 

If you want to watch GoT ad free it is added onto catch up at around 3.20am 

RoyB
Legend

If it’s a real simulcast, then no, since HBO don’t have ad breaks. Extensive trails at the beginning, which NowTV will probably replace with their own trails, but should be straight through after that.

I’ve never stayed up late enough to watch it live though, so I can’t be sure.

I have half your internet speed, which is more than adequate for the very modest speed requirements of NowTV for their 720p ‘HD Ready’ service. So you will be minted there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Lindzi
Elite 2

@RoyB wrote:

If it’s a real simulcast, then no, since HBO don’t have ad breaks. Extensive trails at the beginning, which NowTV will probably replace with their own trails, but should be straight through after that.

@RoyB 

I didn't know that! It kinda makes me want to stay up to check it out..... shame the job puts a stop on that 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hopefully someone knows for sure!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I stayed up to watch GOT S8 Ep1 live at 2.00am and if my memory serves me right there was some very short advert breaks during the live broadcast.

To be honest my mind has gone a little hazy for some reason about the above, but in my mind i remember seeing a total run time of around 1 hour and 6 minutes on the live NowTV now & next EPG, where the catch up episode is only has a run time of 51 mins.

Maybe the difference was prior to the episode starting and the lead in time when the next scheduled live TV show started.

Hopefully a die hard GOT fan who has watched the first two live broadcasts will confirm either way.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if you managed to stay up to watch the live stream of GOT S8 Ep 3 at 2.00 am this morning, but like i suspected there was advert breaks during the live stream.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Watched the live broadcast and during the first ad break I tried to mute the sound (they were taking me right out of the moment) and ended up somehow zooming right in to the top corner (the Sky Atlantic logo was covering the screen) - I heard a lot of screeching and wind so I quickly turned it off and set my alarm to go off at 3.45am so I could watch it on catch up.

*sigh*