cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv box cant connect to my local network

The light just comes up red when trying to connect and then fails. Is it a problem that its a virgin media router? I have the password right and it does connect to the router just not to the local network help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lots of people have experienced problems with Virgin Hubs
Others report that this will work :
Try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now be in the hidden menu where you can scroll down to deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Then move blue line down to Back and select - it should then connect and work ok with Virgin Superhub.

View solution in original post

257 REPLIES 257
Anonymous User
Not applicable

hello,

i am now having the same trouble connecting my now tv box,

problem started after i upgraded to virgin medias big bang bundle with tivo and a new superhub 100mb

before my virgin media upgrade my previous hub worked perfect with now tv box

switched on after upgrade changed ip passwords ect

one minute now tv finds ip/connection/than loses it/same happens over and over.

rebooted it/factory reset it/tried the unping that a few have stated/all with no joy,spoke with virgin media and all connections working perfectly/all my other wireless working perfectly/apart from now tv problem 😞

very frustrating because now tv is a super tv box but seems a few are now experiencing this issue,

just for the info my virgin router wi fi channel set on auto for less traffic

my now tv box running channel 11 wi fi

any ideas or fixes be greatly appreciated thankyou

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you'll need to complete the following sequence, by pressing the buttons on your NOW TV box remote control in quick succession:

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you'll see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select Disable Network Pings from the list of available options.

Once you've done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i bought a now tv box for my husband for christmas. i have now wasted 3 hours trying to set it up for him. i have tried everything in this thread.My password is correct. ive tried the secret screen enabled and disabled countless times. but it wont connect to my wireless network. I have the latest virgin hub. please help me before i chuck this box across the room!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

Welcome to the community.

See the following thread where both myself and @commanda6 have replied with some steps you can try and get sorted.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box/unable-to-connect-onto-virgin-super-hub-tried-every-thing-error/m-p/280136#M20971
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I got a new virgin router today and can't connect my now tv box. I've tried factory reset and disable ping.

Any ideas welcome!

Many thanks!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch.

Could you try these steps:

1.     On a PC or Laptop go to your Virgin Super hub homepage.

2.     Go to WiFi settings

3.     Disable 5ghz

4.     Change the 2.4ghz to: WPA2-PSK[AES] then scan your NOW TV box for internet

5.     It should then connect.

Thanks,

Sabrina

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Or what I done,

Go to advance settings on your Virgin modem, go to 2.4Ghz Guest wireless network, make up a name for the ssid, ie nowtv,, then make up a password, then apply, don’t change anything else. Disable ping on box.

Go to your nowtv box and search for wireless signal and connect to the one you made up with your new password. only use this for nowtv…. saves you disabling the 5Ghz as well. Should now work fine

Anonymous User
Not applicable

THANKS GUYS I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS IN A PICKLE THEN WITH OUT U I WOULD OF NEVER KNOWN ABOUT THE MENU AND ENABLING NETWORK PINGS WITH MY VIRGIN MEDIA HUB THANKS AGAIN

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a Plusnet Technicolor router, for last 2 weeks the NOW Tv box has been working fine but now it comes up Error code 014 when I try to connect to the router.

I have been thru the process on NOW Tv page and also reset it but still same problem.

It works fine in my friends house but not in my own......any advice?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear about your connection problems.  As you've been through the error 14 stuff, I would suggest rebooting your router by turining off waiting 15s and on again.  When that's booted up OK do the same with your NOW TV Box.

I would also try altering the position of the box slightly, making sure it's not in a confined space, e.g. put on top shelf rather than middle.  This may sound odd, but a slight repositioning of the box can really affect wi fi reception.  Have a go with the above & please post back if you're still having no luckSmiley Happy