cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv box cant connect to my local network

The light just comes up red when trying to connect and then fails. Is it a problem that its a virgin media router? I have the password right and it does connect to the router just not to the local network help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lots of people have experienced problems with Virgin Hubs
Others report that this will work :
Try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now be in the hidden menu where you can scroll down to deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Then move blue line down to Back and select - it should then connect and work ok with Virgin Superhub.

View solution in original post

257 REPLIES 257
Anonymous User
Not applicable

One thing you might be able to try is to change the settings as suggested above by @Anonymous User : changing the wireless channel to 6 (or Automatic if it is set to a different number) and possibly changing the security to WPA. (It's a good idea to be set to WPA anyway, since it's much more secure.)

To do this on a Home Hub, I believe you do the following:

1) In a browser go to: http://bthomehub.home

2) Click on Advanced Settings and log in with the password. (Either you will have set this, or it will be displayed on the base or back of the Home Hub 2 machine.)

3) Click on Wireless and you should see a screen that allows you to set the security and the channel.

4) Once you've changed these, click Apply.

Certainly, those are the steps I saw on my HH3 and currently see on my HH4. With any luck, one of those two changes will fix things!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

One thing you might be able to try is to change the settings as suggested above by @Anonymous User : changing the wireless channel to 6 (or Automatic if it is set to a different number) and possibly changing the security to WPA. (It's a good idea to be set to WPA anyway, since it's much more secure.)

Manually selecting a channel on these hubs is always a good idea IMHO as it turns off Smart Wifi.

Also, WPA2 is more secure than WPA, but either can still be cracked with the right software - having said that not many hackers out there would want to hack in to a residential connection.

On the subject of channel selection, channels 1, 6 or 11 are the ones to aim for to avoid wifi overlap.

To do this on a Home Hub, I believe you do the following:

1) In a browser go to: http://bthomehub.home

2) Click on Advanced Settings and log in with the password. (Either you will have set this, or it will be displayed on the base or back of the Home Hub 2 machine.)

3) Click on Wireless and you should see a screen that allows you to set the security and the channel.

4) Once you've changed these, click Apply.

Certainly, those are the steps I saw on my HH3 and currently see on my HH4. With any luck, one of those two changes will fix things!

@Anonymous User  Should you ever have any issues with your home hub, give us a shout;)

@Anonymous User wrote:
Problem solved. It didn't want the password. Stupid m/c. It wanted the Wireless Key.

Now I am in but locked on a page showingOn Demand and no key on the handset does anything. What a stupid system and a waste of my money.
Glad to hear it was a simple soluti

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Phlomis wrote:
Problem solved. It didn't want the password. Stupid m/c. It wanted the Wireless Key.

Now I am in but locked on a page showingOn Demand and no key on the handset does anything. What a stupid system and a waste of my money.

Glad to hear it was a simple soluti

edit. No idea where the rest of my reply went:o, but hey ho.

To continue. Glad to hear it was a simple solution of inputting the correct details. You're not the first and you'll not be the last one to do this;)

Regarding the locked page. Switch the box off and on, plus check the batteries are in good order. Are you still locked out?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User Thanks! I was unclear in my response - I meant WPA is much more secure than WEP! Smiley Happy

So far, I've thankfully not had any issues with my Home Hub 4.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
@Anonymous User Thanks! I was unclear in my response - I meant WPA is much more secure than WEP! Smiley Happy

So far, I've thankfully not had any issues with my Home Hub 4.

No worries;)

Luckilly for us pour souls using a home hub we don't have to worry about WEP as such, as the hub defaults to WPA and WPA2 anyway:)

But that's where things can go wrong (note "can" and not will) as some devices don't seem to like having both encryptions as an option at the same time, nor do they like 'our' SSID on the 2.4Ghz spectrum, 'our' SSID on the 5Ghz spectrum and BT's ('there') SSID(s). I was able to show (with diagrams) what issues arose with just the BTWifi (formerly BTFon) filling the house:( and the impact this had on wifi interference and the range of 'our' SSID(s)

Simple things that, for example on the XBox360, cure these issues is to rename the 5Ghz SSID with either a totally different SSID or a simple change to the SSID (adding -5Ghz to the end as another example).

There are many more changes that can be made too:)

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sorry, can't suggest much more, usually its a simple answer, just finding
out is difficult. Reset the modem. Start again from new. Make sure the
nowtv box has its own chanel and password on the modem. Im not a expert and
just guessed the answer for virgin superhub modem after hours of
frustration. Good luck.

---Insert Reply Above This Line--
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks- this fixed my issue (but what a pain in the ###### it was to figure out).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Worked like a charm! Thanks! I was ready to go back to the store for an exchange!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

this hasnt worked