cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv box cant connect to my local network

The light just comes up red when trying to connect and then fails. Is it a problem that its a virgin media router? I have the password right and it does connect to the router just not to the local network help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lots of people have experienced problems with Virgin Hubs
Others report that this will work :
Try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now be in the hidden menu where you can scroll down to deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Then move blue line down to Back and select - it should then connect and work ok with Virgin Superhub.

View solution in original post

257 REPLIES 257
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sadly, I've tried changing each setting in the 'hidden' menus, then changed it back again and had no success no matter what I do. Smiley Frustrated
I can't imagine my situation is unique, so where are all the techies offering advice and support...?
I've been through ALL of the troubleshooting tips more times than I can remember and it got me nowhere, so my month pass is simply ticking away, uselessly, without any chance of me watching anything.  Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi DirtyDrifter73, 

You've mentioned you're able to connect when you disable the security on the router. Can you get back in touch with your ISP and router? Can you also get back in touch with more information about the security so we can look into this?

The NOW TV Box is unable to connect if the connection requires an individual username and password. 

Regards,

Mo

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem - tried the fixes and they did nothing. then I decided to think about exactly what "local network" means .Perhaps, if I set up home network as well, using the same Router wireless connection, the NowTV box would accept this as a "local network"  ........ of course, it does. This solves the problem!

When you follow the steps below, what you should then see, when you check your network connections on your PC taskbar, is TWO appearances of the wireless network you use for the NowTV box. For example. If you use a ZyXel router, then you are looking for the ZyXEL wireless connection appearing twice when you click the little Network icon on the taskbar in Windows 7.

Before I fixed the problem I could only see one appearance, and it was shown as an icon at the top as a PUBLIC connection, and it did NOT appear below in the blue text list of wireless networks picked up by the USB adapter.

I should add that you will need the USB adapter plugged in before doing the following (by the way don't worry if the USB programe or utility does not show your wireless connection, it will soon).

So anyway, try this:

(firstly, try to set the network you use - the one NowTV finds -  as a "Home Network", using Windows 7 My PC / Control Panel / Network & Sharing Centre. This might do the trick immediately. If not, return that connection to a "PUBLIC NETWORK" status, and try the steps below. Good luck, I hope it works for you as it did for me)

1. With the PC turned on and the USB adapter plugged in,  RESET the router. To do this you'll need a small thin pointy thing such as a tiny screwdriver - press into the reset recess and HOLD for about 10 - 12 seconds, and all the lights will go out - that is the "reset successful sign". BEWARE when you do this that you'll need the Router IP address (probably 192.168.1.1 or similar, printed under the router box itself) as you'll need to type this into the internet to find the page held within the memory banks of the router. You will also need your default router password  for the router,  as this page will ask you for it. You will find this IP number printed on the underside of the Router itself.

You'll also need the special USERNAME your Internet Provider gave you (mine, from the post office looks like a very long email address) and Password that you also need for your Router. If you are unsure what these are then contact your Internet Service Provider for these.

So, to sum up so far, you need:
Router box IP Address  /  Router Box password (often as simple as 1234)  /   Special User Name for this Router (given by your provider and so should be amongst the documentation you got from them) /  Password you use alongside this User name (also in the documentation).

2. After a reset you may find that you can not access the internet. My router showed a RED light = no Internet!. Don't worry, and click Firefox or IE or whatever browser you use and start the net anyway. Now type in that IP Address and hit search. You'll see a screen that belongs to your router and is actually being read from inside the box.

3. Now type in your Router Box password.  (if the page wont accept ANY password you have then you must contact your ISP provider to reset the router with their help, as they will fix this particular issue). The password will take you to a new screen. Here you need to create a new password so create one (make a note of it!) and click enter.

4. You'll now be asked to input the new password you just created. This will take you to a new screen. Now here you are looking for either words like WIZARD, SET UP or an icon that looks like a wizard's wand (remember I'm describing MY Router home page, your page wont be the same unless you use a ZyXEL router, but should give a similar feature. On the ZyXEL page the wizard is a tiny wand icon at the upper right). Essentially you are looking to re-set up your internet connection using a wizard.

5. Ok, if you have got this far and have clicked on the wizard,  you should see something like "set up Internet connection" or similar. Choose this and continue until you reach a screen that is asking for a USERNAME. It might already have one. Get rid of that one -- if it is not the same as you were originally given -- and type in the USER NAME you were given when you first started with your ISP provider.

6. Continue on and you'll be asked to type in the password you were given when you started with your ISP.

7. When inputted you should see that your Router is back online. If it is not turn it off then on (do not reset it, just restart it), and it should eventually flash the online light.

8. Now, you should also see that your Wireless connection now appears TWICE when you click the taskbar icon for Networks. If the one in the blue-text list is not yet connected then right-click and choose CONNECT. Then type in the Router Security Key (I think it's also known as a WPA key and will be on the underside of your Router - its 8 digits I think - you must type it EXACTLY as it appears).

9. This will connect - or  activate - that second Wireless Connection, freeing up the FIRST Wireless connection to be turned into a HOME NETWORK. So, go to My PC / Control Panel / Network & Sharing Centre - and you'll see both Wireless connections. Click the TOP one and you'll see a screen that allows you turn it into a HOME NETWORK.

Do this (make a note of the password you are given), and then turn on your NOWTV box - hopefully this time you should see ALL THREE GREEN LIGHTS, followed by a WHOOP FOR JOY an a feeling of ALMIGHTY POWER OVER THE MACHINES! Ahem...

Remember - these instructions are based on my own experience with a ZyXEL router and a LAPTONE USB dongle (if you do use a Laptone Dongle don't forget to press the little side switch as it apparently needs to be pressed).

If you are in any way unsure about resetting your router phone your ISP provider and tell them that you have read on the net that resetting it can help fix the NOWTV issue, and they should be happy to talk you through the process, and they'll have the necessary Passwords etc if you have lost your own or can't remember them.

BTW, setting one of the wireless connections as a home network still allows full internet access on the main PC as well as NOW TV access.

Finally, I've noticed that, even when the PC is turned off with no USB dongle, the NowTV box still works after following the above method.
Sorry if this is a bit protracted but it was the only way I was able to get the NowTV box to work so, if all else has failed you then please give it a try.

owlinflight - Feb 2014

(for some reason the forum thinks I am "boxwatcher". In fact, I am replying to his post.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, i AM Boxwatcher. I'd forgotten I use this nickname ... Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable
yep all good now thank you, now tv box is fab, in lounge, and bedroom,
enjoy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great news, glad to know my workaround has has been tried and tested by someone else.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This worked for me too and DID save me wasting an hour. Thanks a lot

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you mdc21. I have just wasted so much time doing the secret list, turning on and off of NowTV box and router, nothing worked. Did the reverse of enable ping and got 3 green ticks. You are a genius xx
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.  Struggled for an hour to get it working.  Live chat couldn't help!  Followed your advice and now connnected.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
My pleasure.